Kei Apple

that’s and impressive trellis

1 Like

What do the male flowers look like? Could you post a picture to highlight the diference between the male and female flowers?

This is the first close-up picture I’ve obtained, and only because Janet’s camera lens goes up to 450mm.

Hey @So_Cal_Mike – looking back at this thread I found this decent shot of male blossoms:

1 Like

Today I finished pruning the espalier – here’s the before and after pictures :slight_smile:

8 Likes

So the male flowers are in clusters and the female flowers are solo.

I have the feeling this will come in handy in a few years. :seedling:

1 Like

The male flowers have tiny little stamens – like a miniaturized guava or pitanga flower, while the female has very tiny white flower pedals.

1 Like

Very nice Richard!

1 Like

All the branches of the female plant are loaded with fruit this year.

5 Likes

First one of the season!

8 Likes

What do they taste like? Thanks!

1 Like

The taste is maybe kumquat x apricot.

3 Likes

8 Likes

This afternoon I manicured our Kei Apple espalier, removing about 60 gallons of errant perpendicular growth. It’s definitely going to be worth it – the branches from the female plant are loaded with fruit!

FYI @bleedingdirt – this is yet another Cauliflorous fruit :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Tiny tip of the iceberg …

3 Likes

Today’s Kei Apple harvest :slight_smile:

7 Likes

They are beautiful. Good for juicing?

Yes, although drinking it straight would be a very lively experience! Instead I prefer the fruit or juice as a condiment:

Tonight I got out the “big gun” (Champion Juicer) and produced 1 cup fresh juice for marinade plus a tray of juice cubes for freezing. It took 15 minutes total, including cleanup.

8 Likes

My grandpa used to sell Champion Juicers. I grew up with them and now have two.
I have loved watching this thread. Thanks for a fascinating look at a less commonly cultivated plant. :slight_smile: :sunny:

3 Likes