Kei Apple

Hi there, can you tell me where in so cal the kei apple is available? I am only aware of exotica…
Thanks,
Chris

If you talk with Leo at Exotica, he will select a male & female plant from his seedlings. The only way to tell is if they have bloomed.

Hmmmn, I’m not sure whether I’m posting to the group or sending a private message. (But either is fine.)

I’m in the Bay Area, so I don’t know the Southern California nurseries well. But I have a friend who has made extensive visits to nurseries down south in search of superior kei apple material (as well as many other things), and he’s also only mentioned Exotica as a source. Basically, this is a second-tier fruit, and the “fancy” nurseries that specialize in high-value items like lychees, mangoes, etc., probably wouldn’t bother with it.

Folks like Dennis Sharmahd and Ben Poirier might also possibly carry plants; like Steve Spangler, they propagate many less-known oddities that may only be of interest to hardcore enthusiasts. They are also in the San Diego area.

I think (but don’t remember for sure) that there may be hermaphrodite plants. (Don’t quote me on that one.) I think you would be better-off with clonal material than with seedlings, though. My friend mentioned that they have large “mother” plants of several superior clones growing in the Exotica grounds, and I’ve heard that they are generally willing to sell cuttings. (Or you could get seedlings and plan to graft them later.)

I have a seedling that has not yet fruited … but it has also been the victim of terrible neglect.

1 Like

Leo Garcia is the person propagating plants at Exotica. Steve Spangler should be avoided - unless you want to pick his encyclopedic knowledge of fruiting plants.

“My friend mentioned that they have large “mother” plants of several superior clones growing in the Exotica grounds”
Change “superior” to “inferior” and you have a true statement.

“there may be hermaphrodite [Kei Apple] plants”.
I believe this is B.S. spread by Steve S. to sell seedlings. Kei Apple is in the dioecious Salix family.

“Basically, this is a second-tier fruit”
Many of us believe it is only due to the hardwood thorns.

There are a few cultivars of Kei Apple growing at the San Diego Botanical Gardens. One of them is incredibly tart while another has a perfect balance of flavors. Contact the CRFG volunteers working at the gardens for more information.

Kei Apple can be propagated clonally but the season differs from deciduous pit fruits. Check a plant propagation book for information on members of the Salix (Willow) family.

1 Like

All fairly contentious, however:

Second-hand “my buddy says” stories carry little weight. Having said that, my buddy has sampled kei apples around Southern California, and he liked the fruit from the Exotica “mother” plants enough that he purchased cuttings.

As always, I’m sure, opinions may vary.

On kei apples generally: many are tart, but even sweeter ones have unusual flavor notes in the background that may not be pleasing to all. I’ve heard the flavor described as “weird apricot”, and, based on the ones that I’ve tasted, that seems pretty appropriate.

Julia Morton writes: “certain female trees have borne profusely in the absence of male pollinators”. Wikipedia claims (for whatever it is worth): “some female plants are parthenogenetic”. Self-pollination and parthenogenesis are separate phenomena, of course, but I wonder whether the distinction is of great importance for backyard orchardists. (Though parthenocarpic fruit should be seedless, a characteristic most will appreciate.)

I can only speculate whether such clones are extant in Southern California.

I do like them enough that I will probably eventually seek scionwood and topwork my seedling. (Which has proven to be amazingly robust, surviving insults that would have killed most other plants.)

1 Like

I’m very happy with the flavor of my fruits. They’re exciting to eat out of hand and make fabulous BBQ sauce and jam.

Skimming through the “Lost Crops of Africa” entry on the species, I am reminded that the Silbers/Papaya Tree Nursery have their own selected clone. So they would be another potential source.

Note that this nursery has a reputation for slightly pricier plants. (However, by all accounts their stock is of good quality.)

I know Alex Silbers and recommend his plants.

BTW, all the plants in-ground in the original portion of Exotica are individuals that escaped their pots and became established in neglect. None were intentionally planted. Leo Garcia took over day-to-day operations about 20 years ago and began cleaning up. Several of the in-ground plants remain and have become integrated with the nursery but others were removed to increase space. Leo is a steadfast worker and excellent horticulturist. He is regarded as one of the best grafters in the Bonsall/Fallbrook region by commercial growers.

There is a long tradition at Exotica of labeling seedlings with the cultivar name of the parent plant. Also, Steve S. has been known to mislabel plants (e.g. dragon fruit) when he knew better. If you visit, ask Leo about labeled plants - regarding clone vs. seedling and his confidence in the name. He will always give you an honest answer.

Oh yes, I realize there can be labeling issues at Exotica. (Most prominently, the “seedling-of-X” identified as “X” issue. I think Steve S. genuinely believes that most tropical fruits come “true” as seedling strains, when in fact only some fall into that category.)

Exotica is legendary in California rare fruit circles, but the management/practices there are not perfect. (All sort of things to discuss there, but more a regional discussion.)

Ha, “individuals that escaped their pots and became established in neglect” … that exact same process is ongoing with my seedling (no joke), so I don’t doubt the story!

No he doesn’t. Myself and others have discussed this with him over the years and he clearly knows the difference. When it comes to sales he is a gypsy in the pejorative sense. He will say anything he thinks a customer wants to hear. When comes to plant failure he will blame it on anything except the health of the plant. One of his excuses is “chem trails from overhead jets”.

When I operated a nursery in the prior decade, Leo Garcia was one of my plant sources. I’ve been at Exotica on multiple occasions when process servers or the Feds showed up to serve Steve on non-agricultural matters. He’s just another poster boy for a dishonest Guru.

Now we plunge into deep waters … but, behold!, a friendly dolphin arrives to carry me away on its back…

1 Like

1 Like

The paparazzi strike again!

(But my beautiful golden locks are captured perfectly, so I can’t complain too much…)

I visited him this morning and bought his last male and second-to-last female. Expensive is an understatement, but I get a head start and don’t have to mess with seedlings to find a good one. Cool guy, has a lot of really cool plants crammed into his little nursery. Some conventional (peach, mulberry) and some very exotic (Kei apple and a bunch of plants I can’t remember and probably couldn’t pronounce anyways).

1 Like

OK, now that I have it, I’m wondering what it’s graft compatible with. The seller didn’t want to talk about it when I asked if it was grafted to seedling rootstock, but I assume it is. I’m not familiar with any other plants in the genus. Anybody know anything?

I wouldn’t concern myself with the nature of the rootstock. If some day it produces suckers you will know!

No, I want to graft it and am wondering what’s compatible. I know I can grow seedlings, just wondering if there are other options.

@Uygi
Kei Apple can be propagated clonally but the season differs from deciduous pit fruits. Check a plant propagation book for information on members of the Salix (Willow) family.

Thanks Richard. First up is air layering :seedling: