Kiwi varieties - what's your favorite?

I have no idea what the varieties I had. I had them in China and Singapore.The flavor was different in the two countries.

1 Like

I may be able to get my first crop of Keewee’s this year after three years. These are gold Kiwis, currently maybe 5’ branches, the vines were transplanted in a couple of months ago while dormant, and they are currently full of flowers. The female was first, male opened just as last flowers were browning up dry. I tried to manually cross pollinate everything. The blossoms seem very dry and delicate now, easy to knock off. We have a very hot and dry sunny couple of weeks forecast. Any tips? Should I be watering them daily, or normal watering schedule OK?
I have boosted the vines off the ground with temporary gardening steaks just for this year. I plan to move this plant to a better location a few feet away when it’s dormant.

2 Likes

Woah, let’s slow down the responses, I can’t keep up!

1 Like

I’m no expert on kiwi’s, especially fuzzy ones, as I’ve only grow hardy kiwi, but I’m guessing that you won’t get any this year, as you just moved the vines. It’s hard enough to get kiwi to set without the shock to their roots. Why move them again next year, especially if it is just a few feet away. Each time you move them, it sets them back. I’d suggest keeping the vine’s roots in the same spot and letting it have a couple feet of play to get it onto the trellis “a couple feet away”.

2 Likes

I do have two yellow red kiwi seedings they from the seeds。I am wondering how long I have to wait till they fruit ?

1 Like

If you want to move an existing kiwi vine a few feet, you might consider just allowing one of the vines to arch down to the ground and layer it where you want it to grow. If and when the layer really gets going, you can let it take over and remove or relocate the original.

5 Likes

Thanks guys. I posted a video in a panic elsewhere on the forum, LOL. The main reason for the re-organization is my largest most vigorous male turned out to be a female last week. The males were all jamed together in an area where they’re going to have to be chopped down to stumps after flowering. .

1 Like

They take about five years to fruit, depending on conditions. I had bad luck big time on the seeds I grew out, they were nearly all males.

2 Likes

thanks Scott for the Info。I hope to get a boy and a girl :),but if turned to be all male,it still is better than none,all I need is to get a female

1 Like

I had a hard time getting this information, so I thought I would post it as a reference for others were looking.
Not sure why, but the majority of the flowers on my gold female appear to be drying up and falling off, while quite a few look like they’re turning into fruit.

I plucked some male flowers off and manually crossed pollinated as many as I could, because the bloom times appeared to barely overlap. I’m going to guess the drying up ones didn’t get crossed pollinated specifically because of this time gap.
It’s funny, the plant vigor and size of the flowers appears to be directly negatively proportional to the desirability of the fruit.
Male green fuzzy:

Male gold:

The female gold apple kiwi has got the best spot in the plot, and is mopeing a bit mysteriously dropping minor Stems and slow growth, but looks like it is in as good shape as it can be. …

2 Likes

Calling all kiwi experts - I need some advice. I’m going to plant kiwis on the chicken fence. I have about 15 potted ‘Anna’ and ‘Ken’s Red’ but only enough room for half or less of those. Considering the things I’ve read on here about fruit set problems with ‘Ken’s Red’ should I go with all ‘Anna’. I just want some of your opinions. What would you do? Thanks!

2 Likes

And additional question: I’m hoping to boost the slow growth of a couple of the vines newly transplanted a couple months ago. Can I start hitting them with 14 14 14 time release fertilizer?

1 Like

I just harvested a few of the softer gold Kiwis. They are smaller than the Zespri ones you find in stores, and not fully ripe yet, yet taste good. I put some in a bag with a banana and apple over the fridge to speed up the ripening, and left the rest on the vine for now. Is the quality better the longer you leave it on the vine? or are they like tomatoes where it’s better to harvest them as soon as they start getting slightly ripe, and let them ripen in the kitchen, as there’s no difference in the flavor later?
As a side, all of the vines started exploding with growth late in the summer. However, the apple kiwi and male green appear to have died, probably from water/sun oversensitivity. I replaced the male green, but won’t bother with the Apple for now, as this is the second one that’s died and they were very poor performers overall. I did pick up an additional female, a rare red kiwi, apparently pollinated I by the male gold, Rocky.
I’ll need to move a bunch of these vines around while dormant, so just trying to figure out what to put where.

4 Likes

nice selection you’ve got there, i have eaten table ripened kiwis and they taste just the same as ones you would find in the market.

around here if you don’t pick them they get frozen

1 Like

The garden just had its first frost last night, bit of a surprise as it’s in a frost pockey, probably a month ahead of frost around my house which is only a couple minutes away. So I picked them all, except for a couple I’m going to leave on as an experiment.
I think it was Alan was saying they should be OK on the vine until the first “heavy” frost.
Apparently they can take quite a while to ripen off the Vine, so I’m going to leave them longer and see how much they sweeten up.
Most of my citrus and Kiwi’s seem to ripen and have a frost deadline about the same time, so I can see a nice harvest schedule shaping up.

1 Like

Anyone have experience with these guys?

http://goldkiwigroup.com//growaukiwi/index.html

They sell yellow/gold kiwi’s in the US, doesn’t look like you can order online but have to contact them. I sent an email.

2 Likes

Let us know what you find out I am always looking for good yellow kiwis.

1 Like

Update: I finally spent the time and money on a really nice pergola for all the vines. Good timing too, as they all took and are flowering now. The red and gold kiwi are opening at the same time, and they both set fruit now. I’m really happy about this, as the gold looks like it’s going to have a lot of fruit this year, and the red despite being very small and just planted in the fall, is already going to have a couple of fruit. Funny thing is, the male again has not even opened yet. Someone must be growing a gold male nearby, and luckily the bees found my vines. This did not happen last year. My male vine is labeled as “early blooming yellow kiwi”. Not early enough!

2 Likes

Forgot to mention, I tried a cutting of the male tree with flower buds in a warmer windowsill and water, Couple of weeks ago. It’s still sitting there and has not bloomed, looking a bit droopy now. Maybe it wasn’t warm enough.
By the way, I saw a beautiful couple of new yellow kiwi vines for sale at the garden center in early spring. Apparently it’s a newly released variety called “Tokyo Gold” (Perhaps an allusion to producing fruit by the 2020 Olympics), Producing very large gold kiwis. I was impressed with how stout, hearty, and vigorous the vines looked. They only had two and they were sold out immediately. I already had too much going on, so I couldn’t put any more vines in, but perhaps in the future.

1 Like

I was a bit surprised to see the huge majority of fertilized flowers (fruitlets) are now falling off! This is a very rigorous vine, and it’s had the chance to get established for a couple of years, so I was hoping most of the fruit would make it through this year. Is this normal? I saw some June bug looking beetles chewing on stems and leaves. I just wanted to make sure they weren’t causing this damage and it’s normal to drop so much. I really hope that what I heard about kiwis being basically pestfree fruit is true:

2 Likes