Koolaid

Having a drink with friends…

This is my So (Contorted) from Burnt Ridge

March 14

Today

@jujubemulberry should I pull off that growth that is low down on the trunk? Every node has growth. The top two have uprights.

My cups of Koolaid

Katy

8 Likes

if the growth low down are above the graft, it is better to let them be. If they are below the graft,but above soil, rub them off or pinch them.
If growth is developing from below soil level, do not pull, just cut, and diligently cut should they persist re-sprouting the entire growing season.

pulling or digging them up may compromise the bare root tree-- being recently planted and not physically anchored to the ground.
continue to do this up to the next growing season. On the third growing season, you can probably safely dig them up and use as rootstoc

as for your koolaid juju cocktails, they actually look so much healthier and pampered compared to ours.

All the growth is above graft except for one little growth which I already rubbed off.

My koolaid picture was taken a few weeks ago just after they went outside. They don’t look as pampered now but still doing okay. The original one (not pictured) looks pretty ratty but is putting out growth again–just not rapidly. Time will tell. The largest one there is a HJ and the two next are rootstock. All three of them look really good (a little weatherworn here and there but healthy.

6 Likes

my vegas version of kool and the gang, collectively, are more ratty(and runty!) than yours, even though older than your seedlings. The leaves are also tiny compared to yours

low humidity here must be the most significant variable.

1 Like

I will say that the jujus seem to love it here. But then some of my nigra’s brand new leaves have a bit of yellow tint to them. And May is usually our rainiest month. Fingers crossed.

just like with some of our figs, it happens to some our nigra’s too, not sure why. Quite mysterious, but seems to be a harmless phenomenon. The trees bounce back soon as if nothing happened.

1 Like

More koolaid…

My Li April 2016

September 2016

Today

Katy

4 Likes

vigorous growth is the norm for li’s. You could expect another flush of upright growth later this year, from the tips of the uprights that you have now, and as i see it, quite likely that your li will multi-crop this year too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lang from Burnt Ridge. In ground March 31.

3 Likes

exhibiting vigor, no doubt! :thumbsup:

1 Like

The ants have found the juju blooms…

2 Likes

Stages of bloom? @jujubemulberry

1 Like

ants pollinate our juju blooms here too. As for the stages, seems like the one to the right has passed pollen release/receptivity, and the one on the left is around receptivity.

1 Like

The contorted trunk looks so nice

1 Like

Honey Jar from Edible Landscaping. In ground March 23.

Blooms:

Katy

2 Likes

@thecityman I’ve been posting some photos here…especially if I have some questions to ask…

1 Like

My Chico purchased from Discount Trees of Brenham October 15, 2016

Today

And…there is fruit

Katy

5 Likes

Awesome Katy!

1 Like

a bit tiny at that stage to give clues about its chico identity, but fruits should assume a pudgy squash configuration when they reach ~1cm in size. Practically all the common jujus are either elongated or barrel-shaped at 1 cm size
i will post a pic tomorrow

1 Like