Late season Peaches

It was a young tree, goldprince. It is doing fine, leafed out well. Did not set fruit but I did not expect it to.

Mulch heavily preceding winter or mound dirt well above the graft and pull it back in spring- same way I keep my tea roses healthy (below the dirt).

1 Like

I am looking at your late peach list from Sep '17, and wonder if you could give me sources for those trees. Or is there a chance I could get dormant scions next winter, or budwood in the coming months? I’m looking for late season peaches/nectarines to extend my season. Those are east coast varieties apparently; any reason why they would not do well in west coast zone 9b?
Btw, I am posting a grafting method using a power drill. You may find it interesting.

1 Like

It is a west coast nursery. Pricey is what I have in mind :smile: They have a reputation of having uncommon varieties and quality products.

If you have Costco near you ( in CA, it’s a given). Costco carries Burchell’s fruit trees but at a very limited varieties.

Elberta is a huge old fashioned peach. It ripens for me from mid Sept. to the beginning of Oct. Its not fancy but for peaches in the NE it is reliable. Living on an island, filled with humidity during the poses many challenges for peaches, along with the borers that thrive here. So if it can make it in ‘Mildew by the Sea’, its a great late season peach.

2 Likes

Bob,
What your your latest peaches this year? I picked almost all my Autumn Star today, Oct 8. My AS are good size. Many are 8-9 oz. This one is over 10 oz.

I also picked my one and only Black Boy today. It is 4.4 oz. I got the scionwood from @mrsg47.

My latest peach is Indian Free from a small graft. It has one fruit that is still hanging tight.

7 Likes

Can’t wait to see a picture of your black boy cut in half! I had to leave my tree as you know. For the new owners you and your husband helped me net it last spring. I left the owners with at least 40 black boy peaches. Dying to see just one! ThĂ© pĂȘche de vigne here (red peaches) are gone for the year! Alas.

2 Likes

My Autumn stars were done almost 3 weeks ago. Indian free is just finishing (I’ve no crop of use) and Victoria finished last week except for a nursery tree in more shade (not much PM sun by now).

Heath Cling. All my Carnival rotted. Evidentially, a single mid-July spray of MFF wasn’t enough. There wasn’t that much rain while they were (would have been) ripening, but they started rotting early. @alan, did you get any Carnival from your graft? While HC is good, Carnival was better

After seeing your post, I went out (in a light rain) and checked the trees this morning. A lot of the Heath Clings rotted too, but I found a pretty good one on the ground. I see one more on the tree.

16 Brix. I held it up against a more representative sample

About a week ago, I picked the last of the peaches at a rental. I wouldn’t plant peaches at one, but this one already had a tree out in front of the house. I was shocked to find out that it appears to be a Heath Cling, as I didn’t know that they were widely planted.

Some of the last ones weren’t as pretty, but keep in mind that they only got one (partial) insecticide spray and no fungicide at all this year.

And yes, there was a large fig bush/tree there as well. :slight_smile:

The tree was much more productive than the one at my house. And some of the peaches looked great.

The brix on most was 14-16, though I did get one with 18.

7 Likes

I harvested one peach a couple days ago from Autumnprince. I just have a couple young trees I am trialing of this variety. They collectively had about half dozen peaches, but a coon or possum ate all but one. This is about 3 weeks after I harvested the last of the Victoria peaches.

The Autumnprince tasted good. I have no recommendation on the peach yet (pro or con) but the flavor on the one peach I got was good.

3 Likes

@SpudDaddy,I hope you don’t mind I mentioned peaches’ cousin, nectarines.

I bought this September Free from Costco. It was a Burchell Nursery’s tree. This is a potted tree. It set one fruit. I bagged it with Clemson paper bag. It fell today, Oct 13.

I was very impressed with how pretty it looks. Very nice coloring, very deep yellow with lot of red blush. I am sure without a bag, it would have colored up more.

I plan to let it sit for a day and taste it tomorrow.

11 Likes

My Carnival had bg beautiful peaches this year (third year of production) but taste was blah. In the two previous years they were mealy. I am not happy with this tree and plan to rework it to another, preferably great tasting late peach or nectarine. Suggestions and/or offers of scions will be appreciated.

On a brighter note, I have a Fairtime, little more than a bush now, on a rootstock I grafted two years ago. It produced 6 nice big great tasting peaches

1 Like

I need some wood from that one. I’m curious about its brix.

If you want a really late peach try Salwey. Mine are mostly rock hard still, but a few bug-eaten ones ripened and are very tasty, a really unique peach flavor. It is stringy and small though. Supposedly one of the most widely grown peaches circa 1920
 may be a bit too late for z5- though.

I had a Carnival graft going this spring thanks to Bob, but the rootstock died. I may re-try it or Victoria next year.

1 Like

Just about the only thing I lack in my peach line-up is some late peaches. I have some very early ones that I’m very happy with, and I basically have some kind of peach ripening from late May through mid August. But I see no reason I can’t find some varieties to extend my season even further, so I love this thread and want to try many of those mentioned here. I have Indian Free and Indian blood cling but they are too small and besides that, they are white I think and I want some more traditional yellows. I also have a very strange Fairtime peach tree that looks like a 2 year old tree even though it is 6!!! Runted out for some reason and needs to be removed.

@scottfsmith I have never heard of Salwey. Do you know anyone who sells a whole tree of that? You might be willing to trade me some wood but I’m so awful at peach grafting I fear it would be a waste! ha/

We ate the September Free a moment ago. This is a potted tree Watering is not consistent.

I have good news and bad news.
Good news. Brix was 24- 22-24. I measured 3 different parts of the fruit.
Sweet fruit, definitely.

Bad news: the texture was rubbery. I believe I left it too long on the tree and my inconsistent watering contributing to the rubbery-ness.

My hubby does not like the taste but can’t tell me why.

Besides the rubbery (as opposed to soft, melting texture), I like the taste and its sweetness.

I am considering moving it in ground this fall while digging up my 2 year old nectarine that does not taste very good.

@alan
I am happy to send you scionwood. This nectarine has potential to be great, not just good.

Deep yellow flesh.

4 Likes

I’ll be glad to send you some Carnival scions. I hope it does better for you. I am not quite ready to completely rework this tree yet, since others have reported favorably on it, but the tree has good branching and I’d like to graft a couple of other late peaches or nectarines to it. Could you spare some Salwey scions?

Wow!! I just saw your list of fruits you grow. You do all that on 1/3 Acre? You must plant close together and keep them small. I see you are trialing some Chinese varieties. Any standouts among them?