Let's discuss Triazicide

No they promote the next generation of patented pesticides. The trick is for resistance to be timed to come just as the patent ends.

Seriously, all Cornell suggests is that when the pesticides fail you may have a problem of resistance, based on what I’ve read. I don’t believe that testing pests for resistance is a part of protocol. It seems that pest damage is monitored closely enough that resistance should be detected before crop failure so another material can be brought from the bullpen. Of course, this is just my reading. I am far from expert on commercial fruit production and read the same literature as you.

After all the talk about problems with poor performance of triazicide, I was curious to test mine. I purchased it about a year ago and stored it in an outdoor closet. My plan was to treat the trunks of my peach trees for borers. I mixed it double strength and added a normal dose of nufilm 17. I had some leftover so I started staying bugs that I could find. It did not seem to bother various small beetles, roaches, yellowjackets on my rotten figs, and a few others. Is it supposed to kill quickly, or did the bugs i sprayed likely die 30 min later long after I lost track of them?

They don’t die immediately but if you spray an infested plant in a few hours they become “groggy” and start to die. Most insecticides take a bit of time- Sevin is an exception. Capture some and put them in a jar with holes- then try it. Or spray an infested plant.

Ok thanks for the information.

“The neonicotinoids acetamiprid and thiamethoxam and phosmet showed significant curative activity on C. nenuphar larvae when applied topically to infested fruit, whereas the pyrethroid fenpropathrin, indoxacarb and novaluron were weaker curative agents.”

Just guessing here but since triazicide is a pyrethroid I assume the rule for the family applies that it would be less effective than a nicotinoid against attacking curculio in larval stage. It also decomposes in heat and alkaline solution so possibly its hot outside and your tap water is alkaline might be why some rate this product as trash for curculio. Pyrethroids such as Fenpropathrin looks like it has been linked to parkinsons. Based on this better effectiveness against larval stage of nicotinoids Ill be giving ortho acetamiprid aka assail a shot over a triazicide since this is where I think I can gain the upper hand. Seems like the adults would just hang out until they find a chance to feed and you`re attacking the bees attempting to control them in this stage. I can handle letting them lay their eggs then killing the larva in the fruit to stop damage in it’s tracks and help dwindle the population numbers in future years by attacking them as larvae later instead of attacking the spring pollinators attempting to control adults with 0 success. slight damage of egg laying or larval is acceptable to me as a home gamer. And in Austin there seems to be no way to time them for sprayings. It’s definitely not just right after petal fall. Seems like they just hang out and lay eggs whenever throughout the year and get more active AFTER spring.

I tried malathion this year for peaches and rate it 0 out of 10 for curculio. Absolute trash…My bees are probably dead…I probably have cancer and everything has a curculio worm inside. Probably 0% larval curative effect with this stuff.

1 Like

Try spray it with kaolin clay Surround. With good timing of spray, it should work. Not 100% but it works esp. coupled with Spinosad or BT. It has worked for me last year and this year.

“Interestingly, apples treated with kaolin clay received significantly more oviposition scars than many of the other chemicals tested and did not differ from the control treatment”

Seems like it might deter them for a minute in my mind. Like the malathion is a deterrent before the molecule degrades or is washed off. I`m thinking instead of “push” the peaches are doing a great job of “pulling” the larvae in. Then the nicotinoid can penetrate the flesh and kill the larvae and only applying it later in the peach development where I need it and the only bugs that are around are bugs Im trying to kill. Not at all an organic alternative but I’ve anecdotally tested tons and tons of organic methods with no success in various agricultural efforts. Eradicating their population completely after drawing them in by genociding their young is organic after the fact. Malathion doesnt work and I was sure it would since it seems like a horrible chemical. Along the lines of things not working I could have just used an ineffective organic alternative that was pet people and bee safe over malathion. Seems like a tobacco extract would be organic pesticide that does work here based on the nicotinoid family evidence.

Currently crushing the adults Im finding and cutting up every peach that drops to remove their larvae and crushing them as well. That’s organic in the attempt for full genocide. Too late in the year to apply any nicotinoid although tobacco does grow ok here.

1 Like