Limbertwig apples

I’m waiting to see which rare apples he puts out in the next few years. I have been waiting to fill out my orchard since I only have a couple of spots left. I want to get some of the more rare heirloom apples he has made available.

I always think of the Limbertwigs as southern apples. Has anyone here in the northern climates had success with them? I’m in a Zone 4a (southern Adirondacks, NY).

Am I correct in my understanding that “Limbertwigs” are not necessarily closely related in ancestry but, share a common growth / heavy fruiting habit?

Well, I’m not an expert on the Limbertwig varieties per say. The
Limbertwig varieties have a certain taste to them making them Limbertwigs. Some Limbertwig varieties have very drooping branches with the fruit while other Limbertwig varieties have semi drooping branches. There are some varieties that have little or no branch drooping to them.
The key to being a Limbertwig is the taste not so much the growth or fruiting habit.
Some Limbertwig varieties are not as productive as other Limbertwig varieties. I would also imagine it is where/soil conditions/weather, etc. you are trying to grow them as well vs where the Limbertwig variety originated.

1 Like

You might want to talk to Ron Joyner at Big Horse Farm NC. He told me he has limbertwig customers from the coast to the mountains and they usually adapt fine. But nail it down better with Ron.

email: oldapple@bighorsecreekfarm.com

1 Like

Are there any limbertwig varieties that are known to be the same apple but have a different Limbertwig name?

Oh, I would think so. Once example that I’ve encountered is that Victoria LT is generally considered to be the same fruit as Sweet LT.

1 Like

Lee Calhoun’s book Old Southern Apples lists aliases.

His book is really informative. I had one and wore it out. I cracked the spine and the pages were falling out of it. I had to buy another one.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s a great reference. I use it all the time.

1 Like