Lovell/Citation Rootstock Purchase

You can buy Myrobalan 29C from Copenhaven in bundles of 25. I bought some a few days ago.

Myrobalan 29C is good for all stone fruits except cherries. Literature excludes peach/nectarine as compatible but that’s entirely incorrect. Copenhaven has superb prices, too.

Myrobalan Seedling is also available, however, it’s used for plum only.

I called Burnt Ridge 6 or 8 days ago and they don’t have Lovell or Citation or St. Julien or Myro 29C… or anything else suitable for broad spectrum stone fruit grafting.

Raintree does have Krymsk 1 but they can be hit or miss with peach & apricot is often incompatible with Krymsk 1. Some peach are compatible with Mariana 2624 but not all.

Dax

1 Like

So, have you successfully grafted peach/nectarine onto Myro 29C before? Does it induce early fruiting? Does it have good moisture tolerance? Thanks!

1 Like

I talked with some experts, Ahmad. And it prefers moist soil, actually.

Not sure about inducing early fruiting.

Dave Wilson Nursery and Adams County Nursery puts: Euro or Asian plum on it; peach/nectarine; pluot; pluerry; aprium; & apricot.

And what you don’t use, simply pot up and use them another year if 25 are too many for you this year. That’s how I look at it.

Best regards,

Dax

1 Like

Dax,

If you are referring to putting peach on myro, I’ve never seen Adams offer a peach/nect on myro. I’ve bought from them for years and double checked the last 3 years inventory lists they’ve given me and not one peach offered on any myro.

Apparently DWN considers myro compatible with peach/nect, but other nurseries don’t list it compatible. Perhaps it will work in the perfect Mediterranean climate of CA, but I would be reluctant to try it here.

http://www.fowlernurseries.com/Rootstocks.htm

1 Like

I talked to the rep. at Copenhaven and she talked with their contract grower of Myro 29C. That’s what he told her. I’m just repeating it. I then talked to a guy I consider an expert that’s been growing and grafting for more than 20-years & he said the same. Said Myro 29C would work great here (Illinois).

I’ll be sure to follow up, Mark. I appreciate your words, certainly… and I’m sure others here do too.

Dax

2 Likes

@Olpea @Ahmad @scottfsmith @Stan @ztom @BobC @rayrose @TurkeyCreekTrees @joleneakamama

I’m very sorry to now say Myro 29C is not recommended for peach/nectarine. I’m especially sorry to you, Ahmad. If you ordered any, I’d be happy to buy them from you in order to get your money back.

I hope nobody else has ordered Myro 29C for peaches/nectarines.

I’m truly sorry.

Dax

2 Likes

Never mind bro… I couldn’t put the order because UC Davis was out of seeds :slight_smile:… I planned to use it for grafting pluots/apricots, so no problem either way. Cheers.

1 Like

Copenhaven has 29c usually as well.

Dax,

What do you recommend for peach/nectarine or that you’ve had good luck with?

Thanks
Bob

American plum (Prunus americana). Easy to find. Very inexpensive.

Or, Lovell/Citation; then depending on demographic St. Julien A is 100% compatible. Some are compatible with Mariana 2624 (don’t know which ones though). Krymsk 1 is hit or miss. Krymsk 86 would be more accepting because it has full vigor. I wouldn’t put all my eggs in one basket with Krymsk 86, however. Just about all peach can be grafted to Manchurian apricot seedling.

@ILParadiseFarm yes you should contact them. They shipped mine on Wednesday. I asked them to be shipped as soon as they arrived but you need to change from Myro seedling to the clonal Myro 29C. Myrobalan seedling is good only for European plums. Nothing else.

I’m glad to hear Ahmad. I won’t make the same mistake twice!

Dax

Anyone have a thought about using David’s Peach Tree Seeds for growing rootstock? Thinking about getting some Manchurian Apricot and David’s Peach Tree Seeds…

2 Likes

Peach seed is perfect if the location of the seed collected is within your hardiness limits, Bob.

Bob, I’ve done a lot of reading these past 4-5 days. ILparadisefarm posted a link on his Reference thread for rootstocks that was section S14. If you read that, Prunus japonica is mentioned and the results are spectacular. Fruit yield, time to bear, size, tree size, all great. So I went looking for the plant.

After a few days and not finding Prunus japonica listed in any phylogeny tree charts I got to wondering what the heck was going on. I like looking at phylogeny trees to see where species are on them and their proximity to other species. It’s like a road map for what could or will work for grafting.

Long story short with one more mention… I began finding Prunus japonica being a synonym to Prunus glandulosa. P.glandulsa is the common, ornamental flowering almond we all find at nurseries and usually in clearance racks. So then I went to Woodlanders Nursery and read that their mother plant was ‘specially given to them’. I contacted Woodlanders and sent the PDF that ILparadise posted and they returned saying ‘no, our plant is not Prunus glandulosa’. So I ordered a few.

I’m going to grow them for a seed resource for peaches/nectarines. Currently they’re selling rooted cuttings but they did say that in the past they have sold seedlings. Being that Prunus japonica is monoecious… it didn’t matter to me that their current plants are struck from cuttings.

I think it’s an excellent investment for those wishing to grow their own rootstocks. Prunus japonica will grow in any well draining soil including sand.

@ILParadiseFarm :slight_smile:

Dax

3 Likes

I see Lawyer’s has MyrobalanC as well.

1 Like

Krymsk 1 is a very good dwarfing rootstock for peach if you use Redhaven interstem. Redhaven grows remarkably well on Krymsk 1, and then you can put any other peach/nectarine on top of Redhaven and not worry about incompatibility. Krymsk 1 is also a great dwarfing rootstock for all Euro plums, with no incompatibility issues ever reported.

I wish Krymsk 1 was more widely available. Cummins used to sell it but not anymore. The only source I find now is Raintree, and they are kind of expensive. If anyone knows a good online source of Krymsk 1, please let me know.

3 Likes

I will check out your suggestion. I’ve ordered David’s and Manchurian from Treeseeds.com Thanks so much.

2 Likes

I have a couple of manchurian’s in the back yard that I saved pits from one year( they hardly ever fruit as they bloom too early and freeze) and planted. I got several nice seedlings but it was a drought that summer and I lost them all . The mother trees seem very tough though.

I am thinking it would be nice to try using Krymsk 1 as an interstem on apricot. I have Redhaven too, if needed, but would like to experiment with growing a peach tree on apricot roots.
I had planned on trying it with St Julian a, but am thinking maybe trying another interstem too would be good.

Any suggestions on where I could get some rootstock, or for my application rootless stock??

Would that be a patent infringement, or just agri_science?

It’s an interesting idea, although I don’t know how Krymsk 1 will do grafted on apricot. I have a bit of experience with apricots on Krymsk 1 and generally they do fine, although some apricot varieties have been reported as incompatible.

1 Like

Hey Dax,
I’d love to hear if you have had the chance to use P. japonica as a rootstock yet. I have P. japonica too, but hadn’t considered its utility for such purposes.

1 Like

I gave my plant away to someone who planted it for an ornamental. I (did) give up on this project as I swayed further and further away from the Genus (Prunus) because of disease and insect activity here.

Best,
Dax

1 Like