Low Impact Spray Schedule (old version)

Yes, most things can be mixed together and I often did that. Oil and sulphur is an exception, don’t mix those two.

1 Like

Awesome. Our one bearing apple has 90% finished blooming and I’m hoping to spray tomorrow to give the little fruitlets protection. Thanks!!

I thought that Surround and Serenade are supposed to be sprayed alone. Surround so that it can coat without any other stuff in there to keep its particles from flaking off and irritating the bugs. And Serenade so that its microbes can “infect” the plant without competition or anything holding it back.

But if you have tried mixing these and it works, great.

Steve, you can mix stuff with Surround as long as it doesn’t affect the flaking. Don’t use sticker for that reason. I don’t think there is anything else to avoid.

Yes, I would have thought oil would affect the flaking ability of the clay?

The oil evaporates very quickly so it doesn’t affect anything. This assumes you are using light summer oil.

As you know, Scott, It affects mites and scale, which Surround can sometimes encourage- and the affect is what you want- the suffocation of those pests. I recommend adding summer oil whenever temps are below the '90’s.

So for the growers who have utilized lime-sulfur pet dip what was the measurements you used per gallon?

It should be around 2 tbsp/gallon… the usual horticultural stuff is a 25% solution and the vet stuff is nearly pure. So, use 1/4th of the amount.

1 Like

Scott, are you sure it’s not teaspoons instead of tablespoons? I’ll have to dig out the old bottle, but I had 5 teaspoons of the original ag stuff per gallon. Which would be 1 1/2 teaspoons of the more concentrated vet stuff, roughly.

I could have this wrong, but this is what I had calculated a while back.

It depends whether you are doing summer or dormant sprays. For dormant sprays the standard dose is 1/2 cup per gallon of the standard horticultural stuff, and divide by four for the vet stuff. Maybe your dose was for summer sprays.

@scottfsmith I just read this masterpiece again and am curious what you are currently using for rot? My plums, pluots and peaches got hit bad last year and I’m hoping I can use a mixture of surround and your favorite rot prevention solution each week. I lost 80% of my fruit last year and am going to implement your low spray program to hopefully get something (assuming I can keep the squirrels under control).

Last year I used a combination of sulphur, Regalia, Indar and Elevate in with the Surround and I had little rot. I should probably revise the above at some point.

I thought you can mix lime sulfur with oil?

For a dormant spray you can mix anything, the sulphur-oil restriction is for leaves only.

Well, I should qualify “mix anything”, I ended up with a mess last weekend with the mix I put in, it congealed into this gloppy stuff. I was spraying lime-sulphur and oil and also had added some copper and sticker for the stone fruits. Then I decided I may as well put some monterey fungi-fighter in as well as I had some to get rid of. Not sure what was the bad thing but there were these blobs in the tank at the end and I had to scrub it out to get it clean. My guess it was something about all of those things as I have used all-but-one of those before and it worked fine.

1 Like

…and Captan specifically states not to combine with Oil and to give at least 10 days in between spraying of each.

And you better believe it. I’ve gotten some burn on trees sprayed with oil 14 days before. Young leaves are tender and young leaves on springs with a lot of wet gray days, especially so.

1 Like

I’ve been working on getting an understanding of a spray program (apples and pears). So far I’ve accumulated Kocide 3000, Captan Gold 80WDG, Imidan 70-W, a sticker and Oil. I think I may need another insecticide so I can rotate applications, but I’m not sure what yet. I don’t have anything bearing fruit yet, still too young (other than 2 pear trees on standard rootstock that may or may not bloom this spring). So I may be premature on some issues, but I think I’m loosing 3 apple trees to fire blight and I felt I better start getting educated on a spray program. Suggestions on what I should include would be appreciated.

In a typical home orchard, Imidan works for a very long time without rotation- decades.

I made an update to this and decided to start with a new post – see

I’m going to close this old one off but will keep it around for the discussion reference etc.

1 Like