Mandarin Orange planted

Yesterday I stuck this guy in the ground. We have lots of sun now :smiley:
It would have been nice to plant this orange in the raised bed but with flooding in February the ground shifted. You can see bottom left - the cinder blocks donā€™t line up anymore.

4 Likes

Way to go Matt!

Names of plants can be humorous. From genetics we know that the first fruits in the Citrus genus were Citron, Lime, Mandarin, and Pomelo. Oranges came later from (originally natural) interbreeding of Citron & Mandarin. So ā€œMandarin Orangeā€ is clearly a misnomer. Depending on what the plant is ā€“ ā€œMandarinā€, or ā€œOrangeā€, or ā€œMandarin x Orangeā€ might be correct. :grinning:

Thank you Richard, a few of you really inspired me. Tryin to push it to the limit Iā€™m in it to win it hahah.

I see what youā€™re saying, this guy is such an unknown then. Do you think if I give the company (Foliera) a call they might know?

The tag stuck in the pot just said orange (typical for less known climates) and the one tapped to the pot said Mandarin orange tree. How recent do you think itā€™s been since these new x varieties have come out?

Life would be much simpler out west there with Four Wind Nursery :stuck_out_tongue:

Typical of amateur sellers! ā€¦ and fun too!! Now you have the suspense of what fruit it produces. Iā€™m crossing my fingers for something sweet and seedless. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congrats Matt. Iā€™m in the full sell the wife on a new Mandarin tree mode myself lol

2 Likes

oranges in Canadaā€¦Iā€™m impressedā€¦hereā€™s hoping you see fruit in a few years!!

1 Like

Today I took apart the raided bed so I could plant a few more things.

1 Like

I love the things you accomplish in your location :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is a mandarin type of orange. When the term orange is used, it can be anything colored orange.

in horticultural branding, a citrus that is bigger than a kumquat but smaller than an orange is considered a mandarin.

1 Like

https://www.sandjmandarins.com/difference-between-orange-mandarin-clementine-tangerine-satsuma

ā€œMandarins are a type of orange and the overarching category that Tangerines, Clementines, and Satsumas fall into. They are generally smaller and sweeter than oranges, a little flatter in shape, and they and have a thinner, looser skin that makes them easier to peel.ā€

1 Like

@MarionMeads ā€“ that site has provided you with misinformation.

Citrus types:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been a member of various citrus forums much older than the old garden web. One thing from all of the citrus literatures that I have readā€¦ There are no coherent definition of the various types of citruses in existence today. Thereā€™s a general idea of what the major groups are, but not technical nor botanical definition. As I have posted a reference to Nat Geo, the fact that many citruses of today are complex hybrids compounded by the fact that most are true to types from seeds because of nucellarity. This has fooled some of our taxonomic forefathers into classifying sweet oranges, lemons and grapefruits as separate species when in fact theyā€™re not according to the latest genetic analysis.

So here we are with no one having any authority on what should the exact definitions be of the various citrus types. Not even the University Of California Riverside Citrus Germplasm has a formal definition for each citrus category or type. The citruses are easily hybridized with each distinct species and hybrids and yet most of them produces true to type clones of whatever hybrids there are.

1 Like

Thanks @JoeReal ā€“ the National Geographic article is very concise and the large diagram is helpful for understanding the inter-relationship between what we call Citrus.

Genetically we do know that everything we commonly call Citrus is in the tribe Citreae of Rutaceae. Hereā€™s an article that perhaps is not out of date:

1 Like

Iā€™ll be removing the stake. Itā€™s in full swing now :slight_smile: This is the first real growth since the winter.

2 Likes