Mango "Timotayo"

Flower buds!

Timotayo%20mango%20flower%20buds%202019-01-30

7 Likes

Did you do any pruning this year? If so, what was your strategy?

None yet. The growth so far is vertical from the 3 scaffolds.

7 Likes

What’s the rootstock of mango trees that do well for you please?

This cultivar is distributed to retail stores by the wholesale grower La Verne Nursery of Piru, CA. I don’t know if the trees are propagated by airlayer or grafting.

1 Like

Timotayo mangos harvested today from our 7’ tree.

10 Likes

Overburdened with Spring inflorescences

9 Likes

Nice! That’s a lot of flowering

Here is my Mango tree. First-year that is blooming. @Richard, any advice on why my mango tree leaves are brown? My avocado tree leaves are the same. Over/under watering, idk?

4 Likes

That was just normal California blahs of winter on it. Some are better than others at looking good in spring.

2 Likes

Actually it’s a treatable fungus. Abound and Manzate ProStick are good options.

Today, looking northeast.

5 Likes

My Manila and Ataulfo fruited so heavily two years ago,that last year they did nothing. No new growth at all. THEN,going into January we were having a warm season…when one 33f just about defoliated the big Manila. Interesting is that a neighbor’s had NO frost damage at all. But,his has not had fruit yet and its about 7’ tall or more.
But right now the Manila is sprouting many new branchlets and leaves. They are so marginal I just go with the blows and flows…

1 Like

That tells you the roots did not receive enough nutrients (N, K) during the harvest year esp. in the Fall for a repeat performance the following year.

Could be,I wouldn’t argue. I did fertilize them with some bag I picked up that really did almost nothing for any of my plants. Just cheapo quality.
Right now despite the constant cool of 60F’+ temps they are sending new growth all over…but you remind me to hit them up with a newer fert I bought - Vigoro palm and exotics fertilizer. That does get my plants a nice green. See how it works on Mango.

The time to fertilize for tree fruit is the end of summer, and it should have little P compared to N plus a moderate amount of K.

Lol,Not in my climate. Our summers top out at 77-80F for the days. So,I found the best time to fertilize is when they flush. Last year they didn’t do a thing so one attempt didn’t change anything and I was worried more might burn the plants. This year- its got new red growth all over…small new growth.
But I have learned also that Potassium IS VERY IMPORTANT with many plants and something not said much online.
thanks!

That is true for stem and leaf production. However, the quantity of fruit production in tree crops is dependent on compounds developed in the roots during the prior seasons.

I should pick up the Vigoro Citrus and Avocado ferts. Most of my plants are tropical foliage type plants hence the palm ferts I have
Last summer was one of our warmest and so was the winter. No growth at all. Here we are in April and its been like 65f since February and in that cool they are sprouting buds and leaves all over. Old foliage fell off…like its semi deciduous but I know they are not.