Maple identification

The left is what seems to be a sugar maple, center…not sure, the right is a norway maple. I should really have a ruler up there for scale.

1 Like

Left to right, Sugar, Silver, Norway

2 Likes

How confident are you on the silver? I didn’t look at the underside of the leaf but I could on my way home to satisfy curiosity. I love how silver maples look in the wind but I thought people avoided planting them due to their tendency to not stand up to high winds well. (it was from a pair planted as landscape trees in front of our local church)

1 Like

Relatively confident, but there’s always room to make a mistake.

I love looking at silver maples in
other peoples’ yards…I’ll never have one anywhere near mine again.

3 Likes

100% for me.

Dax

I have to agree with you on the smaller leaf being a silver maple. After paying a bit more attention to the trees they are definitely silver maples. Very pretty trees, even better with a bit of wind.

1 Like

In the interests of having identifiable pictures I grabbed some shots of the silver maples in question:

Not a silver maple. Freeman maple - Acer x freemanii, a hybrid of red and silver maple. You would almost never see red fall color on a silver maple like what is developing here.

Almost certainly the popular “Autumn Blaze” cultivar.

2 Likes

How about this?The tree is the most colorful one on the property,where I work. Brady

I’m not even sure how you find a true silver or red maple. All the soft maple around here have unique leaf and bark characteristics showing a diverse mix of silver and red. Some are noticeably more susceptible to certain diseases.

1 Like

It’s true, silver and red maple sometimes cross on their own with both common in many neighborhoods in the eastern United States.
It’s also true that the “Autumn Blaze” is the most likely candidate in the photo where tree is just beginning to turn red.

The last picture posted? Red leaves all over. Is it fall where you are…if so this appears to be a red maple. If it is summer when photo taken then I’d say it originated in Asia.

2 Likes

@Bradybb most definitely as BlueBerry suggests: Acer rubrum
Bark, leaves, color all a positive match.

Above I concur also Acer x freemanii
Bark, leaf, a direct match.

Dax

2 Likes