Melon Watch

Alvaro - my replacement for Savor

This one is going to be tricky - the stem suture is opening, but it’s not quite ready to slip

Will leave it overnite

4 Likes

when I grafted the watermelon onto pumpkin I also did Petite Gris the same way just out of fun and curiosity. For me they grew much quicker when young but now that fruit are getting ready to pick I don’t notice any advantage. But obviously it looks like I can grow petite gris on my soil so maybe, if you cannot but you can grow pumpkins, it may have advantages.

Petite Gris sets lots of fruit, 8 in this shot not all will make it to full ripeness.

Almost ready

8 Likes

That one is green-ripe?

1 Like

Perfection!

1 Like

yes it stays green when ripe, I have never grown melons so I am hoping that Petite Gris is like the other ones and will slip off the vine easily when ready.

1 Like

Melons can sure be tricky

I grow galias instead of honeydews because the color change is so clear and the slip so easy

3 Likes

Galia is my favorite melon. Very fragrant/sweet… I need to grow those again…i did years ago… Need more room.

2 Likes

I have found out today that Petite Gris does not slip off the vine when ripe. I picked one today and it was well over ripe and I had to cut it off the vine. The next one I cut off was just right. So vine slippage ( is that a word?? LOL) is not a good indicator for this melon, for me.

2 Likes

I’ve been picking Dae Jang Geum Hybrid melons. I always seem to pick them before fully ripe. They turn yellow and take weeks to finish apparently. Still good eating, but I’m not comparing them to a fully ripe one as I haven’t let it do so long enough.

Maybe this one? The green stripes on this one have lightened a lot. Photo evidence to compare once I try this one. In the fridge.

Processing: IMG_20230714_125642.jpg…

6 Likes

Really loving how this Charentais melon let’s you know when it’s ready. Turns from green to yellow in just a few days then separates easily.

4 Likes

Where did you get your seeds. that is not a French Charentais, if they turn yellow they are a goner! They are very small. Probably no more than 6-7 inches wide. Very sweet and very orange flesh. I think you have a variety of Canary melon. There are quite a few yellow melons.

3 Likes

It’s a bit of a mystery then. Definitely not a canary melon. Wrong shape and ribbing.

I bought my seed from True Leaf Market.

I thought between these two melons, one is Charentais or Petit Gris de Rennes. See additional photo (Petit Gris?).

The fruit in the previous post when picked yellow is perfectly ripe. A nice tasting cantaloupe flavor. Nothing special but easier to pick ripe than guessing at a store for cantaloupe.
Here is a photo of the Charentais from True Leaf Market website, showing yellowing on the outside.

charentais-melon-com-wm

The next photo is what I think is a Petit Gris de Rennes. I pulled one last week green and it was underripe and I threw it out. This one was just showing some color then we had rain yesterday and I didn’t catch it until it split.

Haven’t tasted it yet.

3 Likes

It looks cross pollinated. Charentais are very small and incredibly sweet. No yellow, unless left in the field to rot. Also it is not a squat or oval melon it is round, your looks like a cross.

1 Like

What I have been assuming are the Charentais are the ones in the earlier photo on the vine. I guess round is a relative term. I’d call them round and obviously ribbed.

Next year I will actually mark down what I grow where. These were all an afterthought and I didn’t pay much attention to them.

I’ve actually seeded another variety that mast have time to finish before first frost.

Aspire F1.

I’ll know where that one is planted!

1 Like

You must plant your melons 20 feet apart from other melons, zucchini, or other squashes or gourds, if notbtheybwill cross pollinate.

1 Like

Here is an F1 that looks close to yours. But the skin of a true charentais is not smooth.

2 Likes

I haven’t planted the F1 yet…

1 Like

I’m not planning on using the seeds for next year so cross pollination doesn’t matter. It has no affect on the melons on the vine.

Unless the seeds I received from the supplier were not controlled…

1 Like

The first photo is Charentais, gone ripe. That’s the color change, from green to tan. Never seen one gone bright yellow.

3 Likes

Well this one consistently goes yellow outside so perhaps it’s just not a pure Charentais.

1 Like