Members photos on Growingfruit

Ginny, your photos show a glimpse of your spirit and the spirit of where you live. Wonderful.

2 Likes

You raised 3 lovely girls, Patty. You and Dave have every reason to be proud of them.

Iā€™m glad to hear that your hubby is on the mend, and Iā€™m very sorry that the first ER doc didnā€™t give patient and family input the respect it deserved. The tale of not being taken seriously in ER is all too familiar one to me this year. My sister had the same problem getting treated for her tick fever this summer. It took her over a week of getting sicker and 3 visits to ER and doctor to get them to give her doxy while they waited for test results. Her son was the one with the snake bite which was treated nonchalantly, and his 4 year old son spent a week hospitalized with severe food poisoning this summer - following several trips to ER and doctors as they kept brushing it off as a childhood bug and over anxious parents.

Iā€™m freakier than you when it comes to poultry handling, to the point that I have a prep board and knife devoted just to poultry, and I pour straight bleach over them after rinsing them off. Overkill, I know. Of course, I rinse off the bleach after a few minutes. Then I wash them. Itā€™s unusual for me to buy prepackaged ground meats. I have them grind it fresh. Then I vacuum pack it in meal size portions and keep it frozen. I even do all I can to avoid buying leafy green veggies other than heads of cabbage.

Take care. Hereā€™s hoping Dave gets his energy back quickly and soon puts all this behind.

@alan They are Carmens, Red and Yellow, I purchased from Baker Creek last winter

Iā€™m getting my beard ready for Movember, we raise a bunch of money at/through the restaurant

HQ - beautiful family, and Iā€™m so glad to hear your husband is recovering. How scary!

Patty. I would sue the first Dr, He needs to be out of medicine, at least talk to an attorney. I feel sorry for non medical people in these situations. As even professionals have trouble working the system. The 2nd ER doctor sounds like a typical ER doc, why my wife made a career in the ER. Total respect there for the nurse, and treated as equals. Often the ER is jammed to the max and the docs would let the nurses help, and would sign off on whatever they did. They have each others backs. It is unlike any other field of medicine.
I would want a complete workup of your husbandā€™s immune system. Just to rule out any underlying cause for the severe infection. Glad he is better. Good luck!

Oh your family is beautiful! I too am 58 and Iā€™m in shape too (round is a shape right?).

2 Likes

Well, the thing with malpractice suits are first, you must prove malpractice. Secondly, you must have a significant amount of monetary ā€œharmā€. I donā€™t think either of these exist, unfortunately. But, what we are doing is writing a letter of complaint and I will be scoring Scripps very poorly out there on web score sites. My husbandā€™s doctor is also writing a letter of complaint as well. I will say, being a nurse of 32 years who also frequently floated down to ER from NICU/PICU to pull a plus 4, that the majority of docs didnā€™t have this prima donna attitude. Unfortunately, some do, and it makes for a very poor experience for patients. The first ER was not very busy. The 2nd ER was absolutely slammed when we got there. I will be writing a letter of commendation for both my ER doctor and my nurses at Tri-City Hospital in Oceanside, CA. They did what they were supposed to do - provide superlative care. And, his immune system is in tact. No issues there. This was just ā€œone of those thingsā€, and in fact, it was probably his extremely healthy immune system that masked his symptoms for so long, allowing this bug to fly under the radar and not produce overt early symptoms that would have sent us to the doctor or ER much earlier. He truly has no other underlying issues going on.

2 Likes

Yes good, something needs to be done. IMHO almost dying is worth a few million. Itā€™s not about the money though, It was a lot of fun watching them squirm at the depositions. Currently my wife is in a discrimination suit. I have so enjoyed the fact that a Fortune 500 company execs were all deposed. I frankly donā€™t care about the money. Making life hell for them made it way worth it. Wait till the feds bust them for Medicare abuse, our next legal project. They messed with the wrong people! Long story here, I have a whole team of lawyers going after them. Deep pockets make lawyers pay attention. Itā€™s nice to have best friends who are lawyers, as they made us go for the throat. I didnā€™t think we even had a case. My bad!

These things are interesting in a Lounge or Whatā€™s Happening Today sort of way, but Iā€™d like to get back to meeting the faces behind the handles. Yes, Iā€™m guilty of contributing to the hijack, too. My apologies. I should have PMā€™ed that message instead of posting to the thread.

1 Like

How sweetā€¦ You are all beauties!

1 Like

Best, better, best!!! Just great all photos are terrific and what beautiful children (women). Wow, your husband is a really strong fella! Beautiful, HQ.

Thank you, mrsg and Ginny! My daughters are wonderful young women, and Dave and I are very blessed. And Dave is not hard on the eyes, either, lol! Iā€™m a lucky, lucky gal.

Patty

Hopefully your husband will be up and about very soon!!!

1 Like

Patty,

I hope your husband get better by the day. Brushing with this kind of emergency is definitely define what EMERGENCY is to be! Holy Smoke!

1 Like

These kind of things should remind us all to take better care of ourselves. I need to get into better shape for sure.

1 Like

@hoosierquilt, youā€™ve got a lovely family! You guys are a walking postcard for So Cal living. We gotta get your clan in Sunset Mag or something. :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, Clint. It is very ā€œSan Diegoā€ here at my place :sunglasses: . That particular side of my yard is my ā€œtropicalā€ side. I even have two papaya plants that I am keeping alive there. In the very, very warmest part of my yard. South facing, up against the house and windows. Under the eaves of the house (to reduce winter rainfall), and a bag of Kelloggā€™s Gro Mulch dumped under each as top dressing. Trying to see if I can keep both through the winter. Iā€™ll probably have to put down plastic, if we get too much cool rain this winter. They are very susceptible to root rot in areas with cooler winter rains. They like hot summer rain, which is the opposite, of course, from what we have here in S. Calif. I have a Hawaiian Solo and some Thai papaya cultivar. Weā€™ll see how they do this winter. They are VERY happy right now, a perfect summer for them!

3 Likes

So, I see we have been adding member photos. Iā€™m not usually into such things, but so as not to be an oddball, Iā€™ll roll with it. Hereā€™s a recent photo taken a few weeks ago. Iā€™m the ugly one in the back, my awesome son William (Willie), my sweetheart daughter Abbey and my wife Virginia (nickname Gieā€¦pronounced like the letter ā€œGā€). To keep with the Asian theme, my wife hails from the Philippines, the southern island of Mindanao. It was my great fortune that she also enjoys gardening and growing in general, and her, as well as my children are avid consumers of fruit. They love every single kind too. I love that about them. Actually, I just love them allā€¦period.
My wife and I are in our mid 40ā€™s, and a bit aged for having young kids, however being older parents does offer some advantages I think.

23 Likes

Jeff- What a beautiful family.

1 Like

Yeah, nice family and you are not ugly at all.

1 Like

Jeff, you certainly donā€™t have the gray hair Iā€™d imagined you with. You look more like youā€™re in your 30ā€™s, but your wife could pass for a teen! Lovely family. Those kids are going to keep you young in spirit. Itā€™s one of the many advantages of having them later.

2 Likes