Members photos on Growingfruit

This,…this post, to me really hit home. I ALWAYS am thinking of EXACTLY all the things that you mention here. Only thing is, (while I agree 100% with your thoughts) I unfortunately view the situation more dimly. I see Americans in general as becoming increasingly misguided largely due (in my view) of irresponsible and stupid media. Folks are much more likely to enjoy an episode of My Big Fat Fabulous Life, or the Kardashians than they are taking pride in producing edible food for their families. Quiet time alone, working with family in the garden…no smart phones…no distractions. The idea of self sufficiency and the value of enjoying the fruits of your labor has become lost on the American public. It’s not just Americans either…it’s happening everywhere, just not as quickly. I have enjoyed lots of very cheap therapy like this…the kind the Kardashians would pay $1000 per hour for. Why did penal institutions ever stop the widespread use of prison farms? I think it would do many of them a lot of good…allow them to work, enjoy the outdoors, the smell of the Earth and get their thoughts and priorities in order.
One of my wife’s Filipino friend’s parents moved here to the states and in walking the neighborhood was so oddly fascinated at how folks spent so much time and money caring for their lawns. The father just couldn’t get over why people here didn’t take the opportunity to grow a garden instead of a lawn. Everyone in the Philippines who has any room (and those that do not) have chickens…and I DO mean ALL of them. Every square foot is put to good use. If there are any lawn care companies (and I’m sure there are) they are servicing the wealthy or the expats who carried their lawn mania with them.
It’s not just done for the food either, but also for the entertainment value and personal enrichment that comes along with it. It is not soley an economic consideration…that I’m certain of.
Even 35 years ago there were scores more gardens and fruit trees than now…and I live in the rural mountains of Appalachia for pete’s sake.
Watch many youtube videos on Apple growing and you’ll quickly find a disproportionate amount coming out of New Zealand etc. Very few amateur uploads from America.
I think I already shared the story of the old man who passed by one day and saw me grafting and said “I didn’t think anyone knew how to do that anymore”.
Americans better hope the status quo holds out. Otherwise they may be forced back to the land with a shovel in hand…and it won’t be for fun anymore.
Sorry for deviating from the thread…just wanted to add to Holly’s excellent post. I think it’s worth it.

7 Likes

hahaha…I shaved for the photo, and as usual, the gray hairs get the attention of the clippers more than the others. Thank you for the kind words.

I like you James!

1 Like

It seems to me there are very substantial regional differences and urban-rural divides when it comes to the culture leading people to grow food for themselves. Where I am in rural North Carolina it seems a majority of men keep some kind of garden. My perception is probably a little skewed by the fact that I have more reasons to interact with the kind of people that are doing similar things to me, as well as the apparent fact that people that are growing things may be more inclined to interact with neighbors generally, but even if I think just about the people on my road, they almost all – I count 6 – have gardens that I know of, and I only know of 2 exceptions: one middle-aged couple with children that doesn’t seem to be growing anything edible (although they might be in some spot I haven’t seen) and one older single man that still has a row of well tended blueberries and a fig bush and maybe some other edibles and who’s really into rabbit hunting. And none of these 8 neighbors farms for a living, so their gardening isn’t any kind of add-on to farming. And I say men, by the way, because at least 9 times out of 10 and probably more often it seems to be the man that keeps the vegetable garden, at least in my area. That’s not so true of small-scale vegetable farmers selling at local markets, but it seems to be overwhelmingly the case when it comes to home vegetable gardens (or fruit trees or a few laying hens, etc.) So my impression is that rural southern culture is substantially different from large metropolitan areas and their less settled/more transient populations (and maybe that’s what defines “mainstream American culture.”)

1 Like

I grew up in the suburbs and my family and most of my friends have gardens. Many that do not have high stress careers that demands constant attention. I also know a lot of musicians who stay up all night playing and never garden. They have their own thing going on.
I have noticed though that many do not garden, or have very small gardens.
Out of the neighbors that border my house one has a small garden, and another grows marijuana. All have ornamental gardens. Seems the trend got away from food to easy to maintain ornamental gardens.
A trend to have edible gardens though is growing, I even have heard the word heirloom mentioned in commercials, so people are getting back to the earth.

OK, I finally have a shot of me from today- this is me, that’s me tree, and the apple which appears to be perched on my shoulder is a Montana Red- slow to color.

M

17 Likes

What a smile, Mark! I don’t think I’ve seen a happier looking member on here.

1 Like

Are those rats in the milk crate? If so why? Bait?

Those are muskrats, and here in Michigan we eat them. Our state was developed for the fur trade in the 1600’s, Trading posts were all over the state. The trade was so important Great Britain and France fought wars over it. Detroit is a French name, later taken by the British in the French and Indian War in 1760.Considering the beaver, looks like he is hunting for pelts.

1 Like

Thanks. What does muskrat taste like?

1 Like

taste like rats

2 Likes

But more musky ?? Lol

4 Likes

Yes those are muskrats . Like many on here I don’t have many pics with me in them and the one that do center around things like that. I hope in the years to come that there will be some with me and my orchard I am trying to start!

Nah! Tastes like chicken. EVERY unfamiliar meat is described as “tastes like chicken”. (But this one is more musky and more ratty.)

2 Likes

From a wedding last month. We don’t often get exactly the 3 of us in one picture, and then I would normally need permission to post, but this was already published, killing two birds with one stone :smile:

16 Likes

You have a pair of lovely ladies there, murky. Their beautiful locks more than make up for the ones you lack. Happy times.

2 Likes

Dang, but we’re a good-lookin’ bunch!

When I say we, I meant Michiganders, especially those around the city of Monroe. I think there you can order it in restaurants. I, myself will not eat most rodents. I never tasted them.I’m not a big fan of most game, except birds. Many like quail taste extremely good, not like chicken, a lot better!
I recognized the muskrats as they live around my cottage, and I see them all the time. River otters, and beaver too.

My first seedling. First leaf !!!

F1 hybrid from solid parental stock

Getting better every day
Mike

17 Likes

Grandkids are the best.