Microbial Biotechnology

Big Ag now recognizes the value of microbes Tiny Microbes, Big Yields: enhancing food crop production with biological solutions. This is not new technology but the value of microbes are now well understood https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/microbes-help-grow-better-crops/

Talking points that stand out to me

-To meet the food requirement for a global population exceeding 9 billion by 2050, crop productivity needs to increase by 70–100%.

-It is clear that expansion of conventional agricultural practices to meet future demands is neither economically nor environmentally feasible.

-Generating host‐mediated artificial selection of microbiomes may be a cheaper way to help curb plant diseases rather than pesticides and antibiotics, or creating genetically modified organisms.

Seems like we are re-inventing the wheel. Dur. Heh. In a good way hopefully

So. Now looking to genetically modify crop plants to encourage beneficial microbes.
I wonder if this research will change till strategies and nitrogen needs for early root mass …
Sounds like perennial food crop development would fill this niche nicely. Not to mention having better soil building and water conservation bonuses.
I bang on and on to anyone nearby that we need to develop perennials and stop all this annual tillin n
seedin

Thanks, i found this really interesting

2 Likes