Mid Atlantic apples

I planted a Goldrush this spring. I am already planning expansion both by additional trees and grafts onto this tree.

My younger son only eats “red” apples. What are good red fresh eating apples that grow reasonably well here in central MD?

Stayman
Jonared

I don’t know about Central MD, but here is SE Mich, an almost all red apple that never ever never fails to please is Pixie Crunch! Never I say again!

3 Likes

I assume you have an orchard as your business, right? Who are your customers?

Central MD and SE Michigan may not be close in climate. MD seems to be hotter and more humid than most places.

Actually no not a business, but I do have a supportive and creative wife who’s woodburning skills match here creativity.

2 Likes

She sounds like a keeper.

1 Like

Very creative, indeed. Maybe, she could do this customized woodburning fruit containers as her side job for backyard growers like us :grin:

Who doesn’t want to put freshly picked fruit from our backyard in a fancy container that bears our names like that!!!

We are a weird spot. We still get plenty of winter chill hours, but can often rival even the Deep South in heat and humidity in summer.

Someone like @scottfsmith or @Matt_in_Maryland, both from MD, or other growers near you, may be able to give you some recommendations.

1 Like

Yes. Stayman and Pixie Crunch. Also Honeycrisp, Sansa, and Gravenstein. Jefferis is okay too. And Red Fuji #2.

1 Like

There are so many damn Fujis out there, I don’t know which ones are good vs. not so good.

Honeycrisp does well here? I always though of it as a far north (zones 3-5) Apple.

Red Fuji #2 (aka BC2) from Boyer’s Nursery of PA is the best one I’ve found.

I imagine the Red Fuji #2 kept in the USDA repository at Geneva is the same animal. I have that one grafted and will someday find out.

When does it ripen?

Early to mid October around here. What is special about it: it’s one of the best-tasting storage apples. It keeps in cold storage until March and is one of the best eating apples out of storage during the winter.

1 Like

Is Sansa a decent performer in MD?

We kinda have the best and worst of both worlds here. We are a high chill area but have all the heat and humidity of the South.

If you are looking for something earlier ripening, you might consider Monark, which has been highly recommended by
Lucky P and other posters in hot humid areas. I have two small trees started of it, but they are a ways from flowering so no personal experience to report yet. But I like that it is described as firm and with some tartness, which is something I enjoy in apples. Plus it is supposed to be pretty good on disease resistance.

Here’s a description from trees of antiquity:

2 Likes

My Monark tree, not yet bearing, is one of my only trees I have NOT topworked with other varieties. That tells you how much potential I think it has. Am leaving my hands off that one. The rare good summer apple.

Monark does well in a Dallas fwiw