Mid-Atlantic pomegranate realities

Sadly when I have fungal problems it seems to be all over the area, not just where the pomegranates are, the rock idea would need to be used all over our yard to have a shot at working, a part of me thinks that insects may also spread it from neighboring yards when they chew on the leaves.

1 Like

makes sense - I might try this on a few of my outdoor poms

1 Like

@RedSun

Never heard of this variety. It would be great if you can get one. If it can survive zone 6 without damage, it will be a great cultivar (or use as root stock). Have you (or someone) tasted the fruit?

That is a local variety found near Swarthmore PA. There is a Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College that often has gardening activities for Philly area.

2 Likes

JD - just playing ā€˜devilā€™s advocateā€™ here . . . Wherever I use rock as ā€˜mulchā€™ it collects a lot of debris, which rots and becomes soil in which weeds grow! This looks nice for awhile . . . but eventually defeats the purpose . . . ā€˜Keeping Weeds Outā€™.

I thought about ā€˜rockingā€™ my pomegranates instead of using wood mulch - but anticipated the collection of the dropped blossoms and fungal-infected leaves, etc. in the rock. So . . . . I donā€™t think it would solve the problem of avoiding harboring fungus. Do you agree? - Karen

I donā€™t know . . . . maybe NO mulch is the best way to go. And then we could just rake all of the dropped plant material away.

1 Like

I donā€™t know, although I think if you did large rock (riprap) then organic accumulation would be less of an issue - and Iā€™m sure site selection/microclimate makes all the difference. Tinker with lots of things and see what works!

Although, even if the fungal-infected flowers get into the rock, rock should get well above what fungus will survive at. The ā€œsweet spotā€ for most fungal species is in the mid-80s F.

Iā€™ll admit I was suckered into the dream that Mid-Atlantic pomā€™s work. So far that has not been the case for me. This year Iā€™ve finally wrapped my Suhr Anor, Kazake and Salavatski after refusing to do so previously. Iā€™m zone 6b and have had them die to the ground two years in a row (with no protection), in a sheltered area. They grow 4-6ā€™ during the summer and thrive well. As soon as Winter hits, they absolutely tank. This year I wrapped them in burlap, garbage bagged emā€™ and hoping for the best. They die this year itā€™s eviction time and putting something in that wonā€™t keep me awake at night.

3 Likes

I have rock mulch that came with my house. I like it because I can burn the weeds with my torch and not set the mulch on fire like the pine straw. Also I take a leaf blower and blow organic matter off to lessen weed growing

2 Likes

With this winter I didnā€™t even bother. Itā€™s hardly been at freezing.

LOL. Again - we have something in common! My husbandā€™s favorite weed irradiation is a blow torch!
I start sweating when he brings it out, tho . . . because of all the ā€˜collateral damageā€™ ! But, normally - it does a decent job. (Heā€™s not allowed near my poms.)

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve burned some plants leaves getting too close. I try and hand pull close ones but itā€™s very satisfying to watch those weeds wilt from the heat!

2 Likes

I torched two entire rows of honeyberries early on with the weed torch. Pyromania and plants donā€™t mix well :smiley:

3 Likes

I didnā€™t have much luck permanently killing weeds with my torch, but it sure was good after a bad day at the office to get out there and FRY some stuff!

5 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more, the evil smile comes out when the torch comes :crazy_face:

1 Like

Ha. I tried some twigs of some experimental cold-hardy poms in massachusetts several years ago.

Someone who wanted to test his hybrids or something sent me four sticks. I put two in commercial potting soil and two in my own compost-enriched soil. Those two promptly rotted. The two in potting soil rooted.

So i planted them outdoors. Neither put on much growth. Admittedly, they didnā€™t have full sun. (Nothing in my yard really gets full sun.) And i couldnā€™t find them the next spring.

Iā€™m zone 6. It rarely gets below zero, and Iā€™m not sure itā€™s ever been below -5f in my yard since Iā€™ve lived here. But the ground freezes solid most winters, and code requires foundations to be something like 5 or 6 get deep to reliably be below the frost line. (Which is why every house has a basement. I mean, why not stuff slightly deeper and get useful space.)

And we only have a handful of days above 90F in the summer.

I love poms. But i donā€™t think this is the place for them.

1 Like

I grow them in pots here in zone 5b/6a. I got fruit last year for the first time. Small but delicious!

How large are the pots? Where do you put them in the winter?

I have them in 10,20 and 30 gallon root pouches

I have an attached garage so they are in there with the figs, and other plants that are not hardy here, nigra mulberries, western blackberries etc.
It never gets below 25F in there, has not slipped below freezing yet this year (in the garage itā€™s 25F outside right now).
Here is one I just took a photo of.

Since the temps never go below 25F I can grow any pomegranate. I have a couple dwarf like ones. I figure better for pots. But will grow any for fun.
For now Iā€™m growing
Al Sirin Nor -Bass
Granada
Gissarskii Rozovyi
Hyrdanar X Goulosha
Parfianka
Salavatski

I have high hopes for Granada the earliest fruiting of any pom I know of. Always looking for scion on early ripening types.
Although my garage is near itā€™s limits! I think my oldest pomegranates are going on 5th leaf. Iā€™m losing track of how old they are?

I picked these the last day before frosts. They were ripe and very good! I didnā€™t take any interior shots. Small fruit, but hey I did it! I may eventually only keep a couple of them. Many of these plants will be culled out. I have way too many!

4 Likes

You need a 3 car garage, I think.:joy: Thatā€™s a lot of pots!