Mid Year Varmint Report

I bought the 4’ high Kencove woven fence for a new vegetable garden in the country. If I recall correctly, it has 3 1/2 inch spacing. I have carpeting under and beyond it several feet all around it to keep animals from burrowing under. It has kept out the big critters so far, but I watched a rabbit dash through it like it wasn’t there. I found the fence needed many more posts than were provided. Otherwise it seems like a decent product. My main concern was all the groundhogs in that area, plus deer and rabbits. The rabbits haven’t done a lot of damage so far, so the fence may be keeping some of them out. We will see how it does when the sweet corn gets ripe. The nearby field of field corn had heavy damage to the outer couple rows last year, I noticed, so I invested in heavy armor.

What kind of charger does it use?

I bought an EKD1-KF1000XD energizer on the recommendation of the Kencove company. It runs on 110V plug-in or 12V battery. We use a deep-cycle battery from our motor home with it. It has a 3-year warranty, including lightning damage and is rated for mid to large animals. It is one joule and sells for $105.95. Includes AC-adapter and battery leads.

1 Like

I guess raccoons are mid-size animals

Looks like a scratch and sniff to me! :smiling_imp:

I’ve never had birds attack plums before this year…what a pain. Need to put up my game camera to figure out which bird (i’ve seen cardinals, finches, robins all on the tree)… Driving me nuts because they peck a whole line of fruit…ugh

I have - they seemed particularly fond of Shiro

I blamed robins but I didn’t scientifically study the depredations

I had a nice tree full of Burbank plums for the first time this yr. I didn’t get to taste a single fruit. I suspect the House Finches.

I’m starting to see a different kind of burrow hole this year. I used to have gophers, but I trapped vigorously and seem to be rid of them now. I’ve had major vole hordes move through. These new holes look like giant vole holes or miniature gopher holes but there are neither vole-type trails near them, nor gopher-type trailings/dirt piles around them. I have to figure out a way to trap whatever it is. I have a deer fence and a vole ‘fence’ around almost everything I’ve planted but mid-size critters can get through or over these guards.

I trapped another possum this morning in an unbaited trap.
That makes the second one. Maybe they figure the trap is
a safe place to sleep. NOT

1 Like

I caught a small racoon in the tube trap but the larger ones (caught on camera) just reach their paw in and scoop out the peanut butter. I need a bigger tube trap for coons.
Sigh. It seems to me that a two prong approach must be taken: 1. reduce population, 2. build fort knox. If you allow them to be fed on your produce, you in effect increase their population and show them where the good eats are. Building fort knox is expensive.

You’re using the wrong kind of trap. I posted a link to the one that I
use and it’s fool proof.

1 Like

Thanks Ray, I have a trap like that, but I don’t want to catch them only to have to haul them somewhere and drown them. That’s too much for me personally, I just want to bag them and be done. That’s hard enough.

You don’t have to haul them anywhere. I kill mine in the trap and place
them in the dumpster. If you bag yours, what do you do with them?

Remind me to stay upwind of your dumpster!

Amen to that brother…!! I try to time my trapping so that it’s no more than two days “ripening” time in the dumpster.

3 Likes

Oh yuck. Guys. . . .

2 Likes

It’s impossible to time trapping. My traps are 24/7 12 months
per year.

1 Like

Like with a gun or something?[quote=“rayrose, post:86, topic:6445”]
If you bag yours, what do you do with them
[/quote]

I put them in the trash which is collected once a week. BTW folks, bagging them, like in a grocery bag and tying it tight eliminates the smell. This has never been a problem with the squirrels I’ve caught.[quote=“rayrose, post:90, topic:6445”]
My traps are 24/7 12 monthsper year.
[/quote]

I am moving to that point of necessity now. Wasn’t that big of a problem until I started growing fruit.

I’ve had to disinfect the trash bin after a bagged mouse, can’t imagine a 30# raccoon carcass in the summer heat