Mini Cold Wave in Northern California

We’re gonna have late season frosts next week! My cold hardy avocados and citruses can easily handle this one! So fruit growers in the area, you may have to postpone your avocado and citrus grafting to Friday next week, but you can continue grafting the dormant woods!

coldwave

2 Likes

Yep. Looks a degree or two below my forecast for the next week too. And I wanted to get the tomatoes in the ground on the weekend :persevere:

1 Like

Bummer for me too. I have eggplants that’s half alive from last season, now they’ll be goners.

1 Like

Coldest weather of the year expected over the next few nights in the Bay area with near record lows in some Northern California areas.

Moving potted citrus indoors. Some irrigation equipment is freeze sensitive and must be moved indoors as well.

1 Like

We have a chance of getting close to freezing down here in Orange County tomorrow night. More likely we’ll bottom out in the mid 30’s. Lots of things in bloom already and we’re getting just a little taste of what our cold climate friends deal with every year. Oh the positive side, maybe some of our higher chill trees will fruit this year! Fingers crossed.

1 Like

That is so strange --my night temps in NC this week will be higher than y’all’s! Some of the daytime ones, too. I hope the cold doesn’t hurt any of us this year.

1 Like

The parked cars are already iced over. It is now 32 deg F just past midnight. My yard is actually colder than the city forecast by 2 deg, so it is going to be 27 deg F in my yard.

I dissolved 1,950 mg Aspirin, 76 grams urea, 18 grams Epsom salt in very warm 1 gallon tapwater and sprayed on the avocado flower buds, citrus flower buds, plum and peaches flower buds. I also sprayed my sensitive citruses while temperature was 50 deg F in late afternoon. I will have minimal freeze damage without having to cover or move my plants.

2 Likes

Got to try this on my plums. Do you have a rough conversion from grams to cups or tablespoon etc for the urea and epsom salt?

about 1/3 cup urea, 1 tbsp epsom salt, and 6 tablets of 325 mg aspirin per gallon of warm water. dissolve the aspirin using blender. I bought 500 tablet Bayer aspirin pack from WalMart, and it costs about 1.5 cents per tablet.

1 Like

Looks like I (relatively) dodged a bullet compared to some of the other locations here in the bay area. Bottomed out at 27 compared to several inland valley locations dropping to 22f!

Looks like the worst was supposed to be last light.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Apply it when temperature is over 45F. You know, chilling hours are below 45F when practically very little metabolism is happening. Plants need to absorb and incorporate your foliar, and it means, they should be at least slightly awake, and the reference for most fruits species are at 45F and over. Also don’t spray in full sun and when temerature exceeds 70F. Wait in the late afternoon if sunshine is full blast. Overcast is okay.

1 Like

Our forecast was for a low of 31, but actually the lowest temperature was 34.2 this night, so we had no freeze. It’s a relief with many fruit trees in bloom.

1 Like