More stuff on how good veggies & fruits are- and how they're affected by chopping/tearing

Does chewing count? I eat raw veggies every day.

3 Likes

You know, Iā€™ve often pondered on just that! I beat the heck out of them in my mouth, subject them to all sorts of chemical abuse and so on. And Iā€™m suspicious about this idea of nutrients escaping through cuts; I mean, where do they go? Is our air full of vitamins, minerals, polyphenols, and so forth? If you cook veggies in a broth donā€™t you eat the broth?

I do appreciate that thereā€™s some oxidation from exposure after cutting, and more cutting means more oxidation. But not all nutrients are going to oxidize instantly.

The article is nonsense and relies on magical thinking. Actual article quote ā€œChopping can affectā€¦ texture.ā€ You donā€™t say!

Iā€™m not sure I see your objection here. Texture is a major component of a personā€™s experience of all foods, and definitely affects flavor. And I donā€™t see ā€œmagical thinkingā€ or ā€œnonsenseā€ in their clear exposition of the issues. So I guess weā€™re just not looking at this in the same way!

But thanks for your thoughts. Made me re-read the article, anyway.

Fun read! I thought it made sense. I will eat regular kale salad but if you chop the pieces finely and then massage it for a few minutes (even better with a bit of olive oil, yum) itā€™s amazing what a difference it makes. I thought it was silly initially but am a convert now!

We like kale thatā€™s been massaged with rice wine vinegar and then allowed to marinade for 20 minutes or so. Follow with a few nuts, a little chopped apple, maybe some avocado and tomato- whatever suits. Garlic, of course! Olive oil, some shredded parmesan, a few diced kalamatas ā€¦

1 Like

My personal favorite is the dinosaur kale with toasted coconut, mango and sesame seeds, but now I want to try yours with olives!

1 Like

I make fun of the quote that ā€˜chopping can affect textureā€™ because it is so ridiculously self-evident that chopping affects texture. Of course this is true. The magical thinking, to me, is their attempt to link chopping with increased nutrient levels. There is no evidence of this in the papers they cite- the only paper that goes into nutrient changes at all says that one vitamin Ā© decreasesā€¦ And they completely ignore the chewing that one does prior to swallowing, which would obviously have the same sort of effect as chopping. It seems to be a typical click-bait, unsupported headline to me.

2 Likes