Mrs.G's one and only Tomcot!

Holy cow thirteen years and one Tomcot. I am so excited as apricots are really not grown in RI. I just touched it and it fell into its massive 15’x15’ netting! As Tippy can concur Nothing was going to touch that apricot but me!

30 Likes

Wow, you ARE long-suffering! I say take a cast of it or at least an 8x10 framed picture. It’s very pretty!

2 Likes

Mrs. G.,
Congrats. One is better than none ( like me!!!)

You really know how to savor the apricot in style :grin:

Yes, you watch that apricot and the dark peach like a hawk!!!

3 Likes

Thanks! Yep growing fruit is an endurance contest! Got the frame ready!

3 Likes

:kiss::kiss::kiss:

1 Like

I’ve learned that Tomcot needs another pollinator, whereas most apricots are self pollinating. There are almost no insects that are active in the early cold spring so the chances that it bears fruits are quite slim. Congratulations, I hope the fruit was tasty.

3 Likes

Thanks Antmary! I will make something with it tomorrow. I also have a Harglow . :peach:

2 Likes

I doubled your Tomcot harvest :grinning: I also had one Zard and one Florilege. They were large and tasty, the tree was putting all the energy into only a few fruits. I sure hope I get a big load next year, after a dozen years of cots every year I have had a bad streak two in a row now.

2 Likes

Luscious golden orb!

2 Likes

Congratulations, Mrs.G! It looks delicious! How does it taste?
By the way, I thought you have moved to somewhere south France already.

2 Likes

Sept. Is the move , husband had surgery and one more. My one experience with the cot is that it was shared with my husband this morning at breakfast. My Tomcot was very, very sweet. Wish I had forty of them. True apricot taste.

6 Likes

Is anyone grafting these on other apricots or apriums?

1 Like

Ones…I had one each on two different peach trees, and one Atreano fig and one FS Pluot…all firsts. Last year I had one apple on my first purchased fruit tree and this year I have ten…there’s hope.

3 Likes

I didn’t know we are allowed to brag here :grin:. If so, I had THREE Harglow apricots - one fall green and we let to ripen on the counter - it did have fragrance and some taste. But other two got really well ripen on the tree - and oh my, how good they were… Unfortunately, the tree itself is not in best shape, it may be my ONLY apricots from this tree.

2 Likes