Mulberries no work fruit

The bird has discovered my mulberries. Sad. Kokuso is very sweet. The birds love it. My family love the more tart Silk Hope. They are so good. I am glad I grow this as a sweet cherries substitude. Even though it rained alot this spring. The flavor is still amazing.

15 Likes

This has been a really good year. I’m actually reaching the point where my palette is distinguishing between the many trees I have.

Do the rest of you notice a taste difference between white fruit and purple fruit? The local ones here divide into those two strains, and the white ones (they actually turn very light purple if left long enough, but are ripe before then) are noticeably sweeter and more consistently plump.

Meanwhile, the purple-fruiter who I described in previous years as “chalky” is giving me the most and largest berries this year.

1 Like

@tjasko
Since we grow seedlings we have a lot of variation in fruit size, color, and flavor. When I find a mulberry I like I graft it to male mulberries.
@Sunny_Orchard
Those are gorgeous mulberries!

1 Like

Just enjoying a fresh home made mulberry and watermelon smoothly. Yum!

Tony

14 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5
We need some more summer weather and mulberry smoothies! Lots of ice and snow this year. 2019 has been the first real winter we have seen in several years. How many mulberry are you growing now?

1 Like

I just got a few large multi grafted mulberry trees with Girardi, Kokuso, IE, and Oscar. , 3 potted Parkistan (these are the best sweet tasting and super large so far for me) , and I also got some cuttings of World best mulberry from a trade but not sure if this guy can handle-17F for a night or two like this Winter. I will also try to root a couple of Thai varieties from a trade also but these two will be in pots.

Tony

1 Like

Clark you are right about the moisture. We got this much of snow last night and will be a little more today.

5 Likes

Snow outside and fig cleft grafting inside.

Tony

4 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5
Thats a lot of snow Tony. It was like that a week ago here. For now we just have a few inches of snow on the ground. Wont be long until we will be picking sweet pears off the trees again on a hot day which im looking forward to a great deal! Very nice figs!

2 Likes

@clarkinks
How common are white fruited wild morus alba? The wild morus alba is everywhere near me but I can count the number of white fruited ones on a single hand thusfar. That said, I haven’t been purposely looking. Also, two of them are intensely sweet while one is fairly mild, but the odd ball latter is about 20 miles away from the other two.

1 Like

White fruited alba are very common in some areas.

What’s your best stab at a guesstimated ratio for your area/sample size?

In my area 2%.

Have any of them popped up sweeter than their black/red fruited peers? The only benefit I have is the wild morus alba here are prescreened for extra cold hardiness -15F.

1 Like

They can be very bitter at times but you never know what you got. Both sweet and bitter berries can be on the same tree.when they are good they are great!

?! Bitter?

There are probably 30-40 wild morus alba in 1.5 mile radius. Unripe drupes from those trees are the only ones that I associate with the bitter taste profile. More often than not, I find a lot of them mealy or bland when ripe. There are a couple of trees that are intensely sweet, thou.

1 Like

The purple white hybrids dont have the taste problem. They may be white but have purple pigment as well. As kids we ate them all the time.

In my area, about a third of wild mulberries seem to be white-fruited. I find them sweeter, too. Could be related to the (lack of) pigments, or could just be that they’re all descended from the same tree which happened to also have that flavor profile.

1 Like

Wow. 1/3 is a lot. Is rubra prevalent in your area? It’s oddly uncommon in my immediate vicinity.

1 Like

I have only found about 5 wild mulberry in my area, but three of them were white fruited. They were all growing in a cluster. The fruit were neither sweet nor bitter actually, they had almost no flavor and i found them bland. The purple fruited varieties that I’ve had were sweet.

2 Likes