Mulberry Tree Suggestion

do you bring them in your garage/shed during winter for protection?

I had a volunteer mulberry tree in the middle of my garden that I let grow big because I heard it keeps the birds out of your strawberries. I didn’t realize mulberries were edible. I finally cut it down, because it was taking up too much room. That was back in the days before Growing Fruit forum. Duh.

2 Likes

Did it actually keep the birds out of your strawberries, or did you just end up with more birds?

I had to cover the strawberries with cheesecloth, and the birds still crept under. Where we live now, the birds don’t bother the strawberries, so if anything, the mulberry tree made it worse. Plus, I don’t recall that they even ripened at the same time.

Has anyone tried Tice mulberry? growingmulberry.org lists it as 2.5" fruit, but toptropicals says it’s 1"
How does Tice compare to others in taste and size?

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out. I believe ‘Tice’ originated in Florida, so I am attempting to locate its origin…That would be the only way to positively resolve the discrepancy…But that may be easier said than done, as ‘Tice’ appears on the web at least by 2006 and is probably much older. If anyone else in the forum can offer information to help pin down the originating nursery or individual it would be much appreciated. As a start, I have emailed Excalibur Fruit Trees nursery and a couple other individuals. Also be aware that the 2.5" stated is the “maximum” fruit size…most mulberries usually will average much smaller.

Good point about the average size. There’s a video on youtube that shows the fruit’s about 2" long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSnvIpBgE-A&t=9s

This is what Josh Jamison from Facebook’s Mulberry Growers USA has to say about what he believes to be ‘Tice’: It’s a great variety, decently large tree. The mature one I know of is quite wide but maybe 15 feet tall. Very large foliage, highly vigorous. I grow it for goat forage.
Fruit is large and very good with a nice acid balance. Very productive

“Excalibur Fruit Trees” nursery responded back: “The tree does have large leafs and the large fruit. Fruit size varies in size some large and some smaller. IMHO, the best tasting of the mulberry.”

3 Likes

Wow! That’s high praise from Excalibur. Wide and short make it easier to harvest. I’ll have to make space for it in my yard. Thank you Livinginawe for the excellent info!

1 Like

Here is what Top Tropicals said about the ‘Tice’ mulberry:

“Good morning,
The size of the fruit depends a lot on the growing condition and the plant itself. Under the most perfect conditions of soil, water, temperature sun and other elements, your fruit can reach a size up to 2.5”.
However, Mother Nature is not always on the side of the tree. Therefore, sometimes your fruit might be smaller, but taste better.
Thank you, Anna"

I had asked about if they new where or whom originated the ‘Tice’ cultivar (since ‘Tice’, Florida, is near their nursery)…but Anna failed to answer that question…So I’ve sent them another email. Anna also didn’t answer my question about leaf and tree size.

1 Like

Anna from Top Tropicals response to my question of ‘Tice’s’ origin:

“Good afternoon,
I apologize, this I don’t know. I know it is a Florida Variety. Who, when and where, I don’t have the answer for you.
I would asked Google.
Thank you, Anna”

So I will continue my search for the originator…“David the Good” says the tree originated in ‘Tice’ Florida (part of Cape Coral-Fort Myers), so one of the nurseries there should know that information. I try to provide the most accurate information on my website (growingmulberry.org), so if you (or anyone) notice anything that seems amiss, please let me know…And again, thank you for pointing out the discrepancy of the 1" vs the 2.5" (I myself think that the 2.5" is stretching the truth a little and will probably change it to 2" as stated in the video).

3 Likes

OK…I can’t seem to locate the originator of ‘Tice’, but three nurseries in the Ft. Myers area, where ‘Tice’ was supposed to originate, have confirmed the fruit and leaf size…So I feel the video posted on YouTube is most likely the correct plant. Jesus at Fruitscapes also added “The fruit is really, really good”…And we all know that Jesus doesn’t lie.

4 Likes

Lol, I know a couple of Jesuses. One is honest, the other not so much.
I didn’t realize growingmulberry.org is your creation! Thank you for that great info.

2 Likes

I’ll put out there that I ate Illinois Everbearing, Kokuso, & Downing the other day. IE is supreme. Kokuso is sweeter and also quite good but IE has it all… complex mixtures of acid and sweetness.

Downing is a rather small berry and nothing to brag about.

I grafted this year a selection made by my buddy in Keokuk, IA named ‘X iu-gu’ which is a Chinese restaurant in Keokuk. He’s an all plants enthusiast/grafter & wise older fella and he said it’s very much like Illinois Everbearing from the flavor to the size of the tree, including its’ everbearing precociousness. It’s one I’ll be reporting more about in upcoming years.

‘X iu-gu’ might be spelled with more capital letters…

IE fruits:

Scrumptious!

Dax

5 Likes

I quite agree.

Thanks for your assessment of ‘Downing’…I haven’t tasted this one yet. I guess that may be a reason why ‘IE’ is so popular and ‘Downing’ isn’t.

1 Like

I didn’t like my IE at first but the fruits got better and this year it is fantastic…that is, when I get a berry. Evidently the birds like it too. Sometimes though they want them riper than what I will eat them and so I get one—or two. Sure wish I had a bowl full of them. The dark maroon ones are really the best with a little tartness. But the black ones are too with the seeetness. I’ll be glad when it gets big enough that there are enough berries for me and for the birds!

Katy

3 Likes

Totally, Katy!

Dax

1 Like

I do like the ability to choose where along the ripeness spectrum your preferred spot is. I like mine best at purple black. Just a hint of tart, with complex sweetness.

I have to say that I tried Illinois Everbearing and I thought it was really good, way better than the simple, sweet, morus alba types that I’ve tried around here.

The point about climate matching the variety is a good one. In addition, think about your soil and growing conditions. I’ve had varieties that were really disappointing in a store (grown around here), maybe picked early, and I’ve had the same variety, grown on carefully managed soil for the long term in my yard and they were sensational. I’ve also had the same variety grown in a permaculture/organic soil commercial farm and they were simply outstanding! Soil care matters.
John S

3 Likes