Mulberry

Can anybody tell me if this is a male or female mulberry? Sorry about the less than fantastic pic, thanks in advance

1 Like

too soon to tell, from what my geriatric eyes could eke out from the blurry details. A few more days of development and it should ‘come out of the closet’.
looks male to me, but not really sure at this early stage

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try to snap a clearer pic in a couple days. I thought the pic I took was good, but I was mistaken.

you’re welcome, and i hope am wrong( females are more desirable if you are a fruit-grower, and admittedly, the same applies to the rest of the natural world :wink:)

if the berry-forms loosen up as the inflorescence develop, then likely a male, but if the berry formation maintains its berry configuration, it is likely female.

1 Like

Thanks again for the info. I hope you’re wrong too :slight_smile:

I found some good pics online comparing male and female mulberry “flowers”…I think I’ll know what I have in a week or so.

It is funny people are always trying to plant Mullberries and I keep cutting them down. I get tired of the purple bird mess everywhere.

I know mulberry (white) can be weedy/invasive under the right circumstances. Here in central/west central MN I have not seen any growing…other than a wild white I brought here from my old place in southcentral WI and 2 Trader mulberries I bought from a guy in Fargo, ND.

Winters here are tough on many trees, including mulberries.

Mulberries have become the new hot fruit tree for Phoenix. Every fruit nut here wants a Pakistani now. In this climate, they taste great, can be planted anywhere, including in direct 110 degree afternoon sun, and they are fast growers.

1 Like

What do you think of the ‘trader’? Im in Bismarck and have been growing a IEM or 3 years now and it seems to be doing great, no dieback at all yet…

I bought and planted the 2 Traders I have in September of '15. They’ve made it through two winters now, but neither has been a “test” winter. They both have a couple inches of tip dieback each spring on the leader and branch tips, but nothing significant.

I planted an IE from Stark Bros. in spring of '13. It made it through two years with significant die back each spring, and then was totally dead the third spring.

If you’re not getting any tip dieback on your IE, your winters are either milder than mine or you have a very special IE.

I guess there could have been some tip dieback, but i cut it back quite a bit early this spring… it’s growing well now tho.

Well…it’s a male from what I can tell. Now to read up on grafting mulberries