Mulch: Myth or Magic?

Thanks Andy! Has any done that chip deal? I live in a rural part of W MI, I kinda doubt anyone does that kind of stuff around here.

Great work. Looks good.

Dan, that’s my predicament as well, we’re in a rural area and I didn’t anticipate any arborist services would be doing a quantity of work up here. I believe it’s more for urban/suburban arborist shops that don’t want to travel outside the city to dump a load of chips. However, some counties are offering woodchips and compost to residents. I know years ago our local lumber yard actually milled their own lumber and they offered woodchips, as well as shavings and sawdust (neither of which should be used as mulch).

It depends on your climate, they type of mulch, the thickness, animals that are digging through it etc.

When I lived in a semi-arid climate the temperature was high and the moisture low, so grass didn’t survive for much of the year. If I used a foot of straw I could grow vegetables that otherwise did not survive. I used to grow purslane as a living mulch under the corn, it cooled the soil significantly and the difference it made to corn growth was unbelievable. Now that I live in a cooler temperate area it is a completely different game.

Not mulch but I get wood chips from the local dump that are really nice usually I replace them every spring and make sure I put a good layer of fresh green grass clippings under them to add some bonus nitrogen. I got about 400lbs for just over $4…

4 Likes