My Garlic

No but soon, a couple weeks maybe?

2 Likes

Nice harvest. Did you pull the garlic scapes off the stock?

1 Like

Yep. Actually I cut them off when they are about 10-12" long. They kinda sneak up on you.

1 Like

Do you eat the scales? I tried making a scape pesto, it was too garlicky. It does seem to have at garlic flavor.

1 Like

It helps to blanch the scapes first. That mellows them a bit. I learned that the hard way last year.

1 Like

I use them mostly cooked in stir fries. There is a post on this topic here.

2 Likes

Good tip. Also, like garlic clove varieties, some scapes are milder than others.

1 Like

Here are my garlic. This is one of my good years. Still an on-going project.

13 Likes

Just beautiful. What varieties?
Knowing what I do now I should have planted more as I like the convenience of my own canned chopped garlic and powdered garlic. We’ll get 'em next year…well actually this fall, I guess. :blush:

1 Like

The first batch are a mixture of various garlic. There are several varieties and I do not want to keep track of them. They are Purple Glazer, Kinary Red, Romanian Red, Brown Tempest and Spanish Roja.

The second large batch are German Red, Rocambole type. I grow them the original stock from bulbils.

The ones on the table are mostly Music and some German White. They are Porcelain type.

It is just fun and relatively easy to grow garlic. None of the wild animals bother them. I just need to pay attention to drainage and good culture practice.

3 Likes

I’m in the Northeast and notice that my garlic will need to be harvested several weeks before normal. Anyone else experiencing that. I assume it was the warm weather in late winter or perhaps I should have fertilized more.

1 Like

Mine is early too. Last year I harvested in mid July. Now it looks like I might be harvesting this weekend.

1 Like

I pulled a few yesterday because the leaves were browning. Mine look to be early this year.

1 Like

This is my first year and I pulled half mine yesterday, will not pull the rest till July 6.
They have done great with a warm winter and lots of timely rain. Fun to grow!

1 Like

Harvest time seems normal to me. I did not want to wait too late.

1 Like

Same here… I have two kinds, one is already half yellow leaves… Way to early.

1 Like

Mine too, like 3 weeks earlier than last year. I’m pulling mine though, they are ready.
I did plant earlier last year. not sure if that matters or not?

2 Likes

Normally it shouldn’t… But winter was very mild, spring early. It came out of dormancy too early, I guess.

1 Like

My garlic was the first plants growing. They don’t seem to mind the cold. Although bulbs are not huge this year, sometimes I get giant bulbs, just average size with no monsters so far. I have only harvested 1/3 of the bulbs, I will finish the rest later today.

1 Like

I took one kind out, the one with yellow leaves. I do not think it is really ready, but I also do not think it would get any better.The leaves get yellow because bulb cover starts to rot from constant moister. Now the funny game"dry me between the showers " begins…

1 Like