My "Romance series" cherries

Yes, I don’t think Juliet is available here yet? You can get CP from Honeyberries USA. I had one, I may get another one day. I hate losing plants, makes me want to try again. Although i really don’t need them.

I need to get some romance cherries.

Interesting about what you’re seeing with growth Bob. This is just the first leaf for me and my plants were different sizes (larger Carmine Jewel and smaller Crimson Passion), but I’m seeing something similar. Every bud on my CP burst out running and now have about 6 inches of growth.

But on my much larger CJ bushes, a few buds have gone to maybe 3 inches of growth, but the vast majority just leafed out and are still sitting at the first leaves with no further growth.

Same soil, same sun, etc. but definitely different vigor. I’m sort of thinking that it is because the CP bushes were smaller and had a better root to plant ratio so maybe they can spend the energy on top growth whereas the CJ bushes are spending a lot of energy on new root growth and are just getting ready to sprint… at least I hope so.

HoneyberryUSA has both Romeo and Juliet for Fall shipping this year.

I wonder if the growth difference is due to the soil. In particular, maybe CP handles moist, organic soil better than CJ? Mine is well drained, as it is on a fairly strong slope, but there is a ton of OM, as before I planted anything, I dug out the whole bed. I removed a bunch of rocks and asphalt driveway chunks (thanks previous owners…) and used leaf mulch in this place. After planting, I put down a thick layer of wood chips. CP seems to like this just fine, but CJ has struggled. The row has gotten good light (almost complete sun) for the last year (massive tree to their NW removed), and OK light the year before (after a bunch of trees to their S were removed). The first two years (when one CJ died) they had iffy sun.

I have another spot in the yard where is is relatively dry and very sunny. I planted a CP there and it died a few months later. I replaced it with a CJ and it seems to be doing OK, after more than a year.

Based on the above, I’d be interested to see if someone in the PNW would see a similar growth pattern (better growth from CP than CJ).

Interesting theory Bob. The Cherries are in a pretty well amended area where I’m growing strawberries so maybe that just works better for the CPs than the CJs. Your CP sure looks good and I have no problem if those do better for me as well given the taste reports. But of course I’d just like them all to do great so I get enough cherries to feed me and the birds.

Carmine Jewell are the toughest little bushes I’ve ever grown. I’ve got no experience with the other varieties mentioned other than knowledge they are all close relatives. I’ve posted these pictures of my row of carmine Jewell before with an extra large cup of coffee in front of them so you can see the size and will post again for this thread.

7 Likes

Once the blooms fall you wind up with loads of cherries.

2 Likes

Once the carmine Jewell turn red don’t eat them they still have a month to go in my area and ripen in July. When people tell you they are not good usually they picked them to soon. They are black cherries and this is what that red stage looks like at this time of the year in late May or early June.

3 Likes

This is what they look like when they are ripe in July

8 Likes

This is how I cared for my carmine jewell cherries by top dressing with aged cow manure and wood chips.

2 Likes

Clark

My CJ And CP Are coming along good with fruits set.

Tony

CJ

CP

3 Likes

Tony,
They look excellent and I can’t wait to see pictures of the ripe fruit. I’m especially interested in cp since you and I live in similar climates.
Clark

You just made my mouth water! I’m going to have to get some of these. I’m growing the big trees and these look so much easier to grow and pick. Your going to have a lot of cherries! The deer got my Rainier tree last night. It’s only missing a couple branches at least.

1 Like

My Girlfriend is not convinced bush cherries are the way to go since she grows Montmorency. Montmorency are a little more sour and as you can see a lighter red but they really are an incredible tree for this area.

8 Likes

All of your picture make me want to take the plunge into growing the romance series. They look like you could easily cover the plants for bird protection. Thinking of adding a few this fall. About one more run of these pictures should seal my order. Thanks for posting the pictures. Bill

2 Likes

Nice looking tree she has clark. My own Montmorency seems to be carrying the heaviest fruit load ever this year. This reminds me, I have to order some bird netting before they get red or I’ll get nothing.

1 Like

Appleseed70,
Thanks she loves that tree. I know how much fruit they produce and can imagine you are preparing for it. Hers produces by the 5 gallon bucket fulls. Hope all is well with you apples. As good as the full sized trees are we know they are hard to spray, prune, net, pick the fruit etc. the Carmine Jewell is wonderful for all the aforementioned reasons. I don’t think my bush cherries are as productive and wondered if anyone happens to have data on peek production, longjevity etc.? They still produce very good just not as good as a full sized tree. here are a couple of more pictures

1 Like

Nice to see healthy trees fruiting. It’s my goal!

1 Like

I will have a lot of Carmine Jewels in the future, counted 8 suckers today, one already 10 feet away, guess it’ll sucker like Evans for me.

1 Like

KlecknerOasis I have a few suckers this year and was wondering how old are your bushes? I also wanted to let everyone know my carmine jewell’s are actually ripening now a month earlier than they have in other years. They certainly made a liar of me saying they ripen in July.