My "Romance series" cherries

I know that tart cherries (P. cerasus) can be propagated by rooting green cuttings (from new growth) in June. It’s a pretty popular method in Eastern Europe, as tart cherries can be grown on own roots. I was wandering myself whether rooting of dormant wood cuttings is possible, but found no info on this.

2 Likes

I could not either also with mulberries. All the tutorials are with green wood. But many users have done it. I put some right outside that will not start for a bit, and also some as pictured. I will update here in a bit and let you all know if it worked. I did this solely to see if it works. I have 2 Romance series now, CJ, and Juliet, and is all i wanted CP is a bonus if it works. More wood is coming my way too. Many I have talked to said with mulberries it works, so existed about getting free trees (almost free anyway).

1 Like

My Juliet was mailed from Henry Fields, seems early? It’s dormant, so no biggy. I can’t plant now though, so in a container until I can prep area.

Plant from roots to tip is over 42 inches.

4 Likes

That’s cool, maybe they will send mine too. Why can’t you plant it? If I get mine I’ll be planting them.

Crandel [quote=“Johnnysapples, post:287, topic:1332”]
Why can’t you plant it?
[/quote]

I need to collect some local soil, and it’s muddy here right now. No snow cover, it came as rain. I don’t want to compact the soil working with very wet clay loam. Part of the problem is the ground is still frozen, or at least stiff, keeping the water on the surface.
I would rather have better conditions, if I do it now I’ll look like I was in a mud wrestling fight when I finish. Here it is temporary home. a 20 gallon root pouch. I expect to plant in 2 weeks or sooner. Right next to Carmine Jewel.

1 Like

Why most of Juliet cheery, its roots so long and big. Bigger than all its branches.

Wow, that’s a monster! It’s the Creature from the Green Lagoon! With it that big think you’ll get fruit on it maybe next year?

. Maybe the long roots make it cold hardy? They must come from the Mongolian genes.

These plants have been known to be slow to fruit. Probably not. Maybe being on a root stock would make it fruit earlier?

1 Like

Drew where do you buy your root pouches?

Greenhouse Megastore
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/root-pouch-boxer-brown-fabric-pot-longest-lifespan/growing-pouches-and-bags

I just bought 20 x10 gallon ones for my figs.
Because of air pruning, it is said a 10 gallon root pouch is the same as a 20 gallon regular pot.
This year I left service berries, currants, Carmine Jewel, gooseberries, and honeyberries in these containers, out fully exposed all winter and they are fine and beginning bud swell. I didn’t lose one of them.

1 Like

I bought these from AM Leonard through Amazon last year for figs and I really like them. Not sure how they compare to the ones drew linked to but I’m happy with mine.

Greenhouse Megastore sells the grey ones too for the same price. They are cheaper, and so far seem to be holding up just as well. The browns seem a little thicker. You can see in the photo I have both.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/root-pouch-grey-fabric-pot-3-4-year

Here are my overwintering pots, well some of them, i have more!

2 Likes

Keeping that many containers watered in the summer is a chore I would not like. How do you manage it?

That’s nothing I add peppers and tomatoes in the summer! I manage it because I don’t have a life! :wink: If I want more plants, it’s my only option out of room in the ground, I moved to the concrete! My friend counted all my pots last year and he came up with 120 containers. Not pictured is the driveway!

8 Likes

Thanks Drew, and Speedster, I bought four 15 gallon grey ones last year from farmtech when I bought my greenhouse film. I just got three more brown ones. They are nice for trees for a year or two. I have Spice Zee in a pouch in my garage. The nice thing about that is I can avoid the cold spells, or warm spells too.

Speaking of root pouches and fruit trees, I tried the 3 gallon ones. Problem is watering inside, as they leak out the sides, and where ever. So you need a large saucer.
These do dry out quick, the only reason I like them is the root pruning, the plant feels like it has more room, more efficient use of soil. the roots when they hit the sides are supposed to grow back toward the middle, not circle.

Root pouches are also excellent for planting out as the roots will not have to be ungirdled.

My peach hybrids. I’m going to grow one of these out in the ground. The strongest one. I wanted to see how these small pouches worked. So if the air pruning theory is correct, these will grow the same amount of roots as they would in a 6 gallon plastic pot, except these are little 3 gallon pouches.

Drew are you saying to just plant the whole pouch with the tree in the ground? When did you plant your seeds? I planted mine three weeks ago and nothing has come up. I cracked them last fall and put them in the fridge like I saw on a YouTube video. I think they might have got to dry in the fridge? They shrank and shriveled up. I soaked them and they swelled back up but they aren’t germinating. I was growing them for rootstock.

My two Juliet trees from Henry Fields track to be here on Tuesday!

No just that they make good temporary homes. Sorry for the confusion.

I didn’t keep records, I harvested in October, removed seed from shell, and stratified in wet paper towels till they started to grow in the fridge.It took awhile maybe late January or even February. I planted them probably in February, early. 3 of about 7 seeds, only three sprouted. I also planted some in raised beds, see what happens there? I planted whole shell though, not just a seed.
Most seeds when good, sink, throw them in water, if they float, they are toast.
Yeah keep them moist next time, it’s not easy to do it right. it took me three years to get a raspberry seed to sprout. It’s not that hard, I just kept forgetting about them!

1 Like

My two Juliet’s came today. I was expecting them tomorrow. I was glad to see them anyway. I was going to dig the holes tonight so I stopped by the Home Depot and got some compost to mix in with the dirt. I just soaked the roots while I got the holes ready then planted them.

7 Likes

Those look great! I should get mine in the ground before it starts to grow, but even if it does, doesn’t matter. Still really early and cool, so it works.

1 Like