My "Romance series" cherries

I will check it, let see it is on its root or on a different root stock. It is hard to tell.

Putting bush cherries on rootstock has been talked about here before. The one person posted that his on cherry rootstock grafted Carmine Jewel were about two foot taller than the ones on their own roots the same age. I think it was the guy or a post close to his with the eight foot tall bushes and a really nice barn.

Just looking at the form it’s rootstock. My 4 year old plant is not that tall. I don’t have a Juliet, well one is coming. I prefer the bush form, plus they sucker, so I can get more trees. Still nice to have, and I would have had a hard time not buying it.

The bush form has many more branches, and the branches feather out. My tree will have hundreds of cherries and is 3 foot tall. I don’t see these grafted ones producing a lot, I might be wrong?
Here is my Carmine Jewel

2 Likes

Very good looking size bush Andrew. I am sure you will have a lot more cherries on next coming season.

I hope yours does well, very curious to see their progression!
Some cherries from last year. I got about 5 pounds total. When bush is 6-8 feet it should produce 20 pounds. I picked these a little early, I left the rest mature, they hang forever, a fantastic tree!

Best jam this year by far. I mixed with red currants

6 Likes

Great, but I refer for fresh eating more, that why I try to buy a Juliet cheery. But i don’t know how they’re doing in Pacific Northwest. It’s very rare to find their information in my area.

My red current still little, it’s look like a bush as well.

Yeah that is a good question! For fresh if too tart, try making smoothies and add yogurt, or honey to sweeten. I have a Ninja smoothie maker it would grind rocks to a powder, but I would suggest not trying it.:grin:
It was a gift, I would never buy one, well now I would as it makes them in a glass you can use to drink out of, even has a cap. So easy to use and clean compared to a traditional blender. So glad it was gifted to me! Thanks Andrea!

1 Like

I rather they grow like a tree more than a bush because I have not much room.

How hot for summer in your area, and how long it last Andrew?

Looks great, like grape. I have red, white and black current as the gifts from Raintree as well, but so little have to wait for long time to get mature.

1 Like

Do we have to remove the all seeds out first to make a smoothies?

Do you have any persimmon tree Brady?

It can get to 90F here, we had about 20 days over 90 last year. Mostly in the summer it is about 75F. It’s just about perfect weather. Today it is 65F warmest it’s been, a record for today too.

Yes you have to remove the cherry pits, a pain, and far from easy.

1 Like

They grow fairly quickly, those are awesome in smoothies too! Flavor is good, but you need to sweeten them. Blacks are a lot different from the others. Makes great jam too. I’m expecting a large crop.

Vincent,
I don’t grow any Persimmons.I was going to try Saijo,because Raintree Nursery stated,that was the only one that fruited for them.Right now,I don’t have room though. Brady

1 Like

Your Cherries should be sweet enough for that kind summer heat.

Saijo, Izu, and coffee cake persimmons be Ok in our areas cool and short summer. Those I try for this year.
I ordered Saijo and Izu from Willis Orchard with the instant orchard fruiting sizes but I found out Sky nursery have better size for now. And my coffee cake from Raintree is not come yet. Thank you Brad.

Saijo persimmon is astringent variety, if you like non astringent have to try Izu one. They all early season fruiting.

For any use other than fresh eating, get yourself a cherry pitter. I use this vintage one below, I think it was my wife’s grandmother’s pitter. They sell similar ones on places like Amazon, though today they are made out of plastic instead of metal. Maybe that’s why mine has lasted about 70 years :slight_smile: That is Carmine Jewel I’m pitting in the photo BTW.

2 Likes