Мягкосемянный Розовый (Soft seeded Pink) Pomegranate

In my climate, the constant maintenance due to suckering and new branch growth below what would be considered the first crotch. OK, maybe the first few years it is relatively easy but 5 years most homeowners around here give up.

1 Like

I’m growing Myagkosemyannyi Rosovyi in zone 7b but this is my first year with it along with about 10 other new ones this year. here are some cuttings I rooted this spring from about 20 different cultivars

5 Likes

Hi Daniel,

Are you rooting direct in those white Bags or are they covering pots to reflect the heat? What type are they and how long have they stood up for you?

Thanks

Hello strudeldog it’s been a long time huh? I’m glad Scott told me about this site, I really like it. The cuttings where rooted directly in the grow bags that you see. They are gallon size HTG grow bags. I like the white a lot better than the black. Last year a lot my cuttings suffered from the roots getting too hot in the black bags and these white ones make a huge difference.

3 Likes

Yes, Been awhile

Looks like you have been busy. I planted out all my Poms last summer, had an easy winter 12F compared to prior couple so not a big test, but still about 4 cultivars of the around 30 set back. How long do you think one of those bags would last?

We also had some dieback this past winter but I think we didn’t go below 14F this year compared to 9F in 2014. My biggest problem was the late hard frost we had this year. I lost a lot of fruit because of it on many different things.

First ripe fruit of the season :smiley:

7 Likes

Five 1 1/4 pounders. About 15 more still ripening on the bush.

13 Likes

Richard,

Did you prune this one? I’m hoping I can get a cutting or two and try this one myself.

@ross - I don’t sell or ship plant material. But if you or someone you know is ever out this way you’re welcome to a few cuttings.

Yesterday afternoon I pruned it back to 3’.

5 Likes

OMG. Richard, can I run over tomorrow and get a bunch of cuttings!?! Wow, those are some mighty thick branches! How long has this been in the ground for you?

Patty

2 Likes

Sure, 9-5 works for me.

2 Likes

Thanks, Richard. PM me your address? I’ll try to get by around 9 to 10 am if that’s okay? Excited about this nice pom.

1 Like

This is wonderful. I wish I could go to Richards with you. I want to taste the cherry of the rio grande

1 Like

There’ll be ripe fruit around May. :smiley:

1 Like

Me also. I really like what he has done with his fruit trees.

1 Like

Today I removed all the root suckers and new sprouts on the stems – except about a half dozen at the very top of each stem. These will be 6’ to 10’ high by midsummer and then drooping under the weight of fruit a few feet from the ground by Fall.

4 Likes

Names for DPUN 0139:

Myagkosemyannyi Rosovyi (ANR GRIN)

Мягкосемянный Розовый (Russian)

Soft Seeded Pink (English)

1 Like

In Russian, Мягкосемянный has to be one word (dividing it into two is grammatically incorrect).

Also, while мягкий can be translated as “gentle” in some contexts, in this case the correct translation is “soft.” Мягкосемянный = soft seeded.

2 Likes