Мягкосемянный Розовый (Soft seeded Pink) Pomegranate

I sent the request in my corporate name along a suitable reason for
wanting the particular variety, along with my UPS account # and I received
an email, some time later, saying the request would not be honored.
They stated the general reason of not sending cuttings for varieties
that are commercially available, along with a link to the U of Minnesota
of various common figs. My variety, or course, was not on the list.
You might have gotten your request last year, but this year is a different
story. They aren’t sending cuttings to anyone, especially figs, and now poms.

I’m sorry it’s not working for you :disappointed:.

Ray Which USDA Pomegranate were you requesting? I have several I received from them. I know they are not sending out anymore or at least last year they did not

Medovyi Vasha and Ink

Medovyi Vahsha, DPUN 109

Ink, DPUN 167

Well have them both INK seemed to be one of the couple that took winter damage , but I am pretty sure Medovyi Vahsha is leafing out, but I could likley get you cuttings of at least the one maybe both in the fall

2 Likes

I looked at my inventory list and I was confusing Medovyi Vahsha with Myatadzhy. My Medovyi Vahsha is still small in pot not planted out as yet but it is alive. Both my Ink I know took winter damage, but think one is showing life from base. I planted a lot out last summer and both my Ink and Sverkhranniy took damage that I recall. A couple others as well that I will have to review a few weeks down the road. I tried to plant 2 of most if I had as better judge than 1. To often I think we judge a cultivar by one plant. 2 is not ideal either but best I could manage.

I just bought Parfianka, Eversweet, Sin Pepe(Pink Satin) Azadi,
Sirenevyi, Balegal, and Vina. I just potted them and will grow them
that way and then plant next year. I appreciate the offer, and maybe
we could do a trade later.

@Richard, would you please identify the requirements to which you were referring?

1 Like

Here is the situation as I understand it.

1. A bona fide agriculturist, botanist, plant geneticist, or horticulturist
  2. A verifiable track record in either plant (a) genetic research & publications or (b) propagation, suitability trials, dissemination and regional sale of promising plant cultivars
  3. USDA or State licensed nursery or farm operation (private or institutional) including nursery stock certificate
  4. Request is only for material with genetic research goals or crop promise for location; e.g., a request for Musa in Priest Lake ID isn’t going to cut it.

The basic fact is that there is not enough plant material to meet demand. Part of this was caused by greedy individuals and nursery operations (e.g., Exotica in Vista CA) that requested plant material of every accession from every site. Much more scrutiny is paid to requests nowadays. If you don’t pass the basic filters your request will be rejected.

2 Likes

Ray,

Did you buy those from a nursery, if you don’t mind me asking? Those are some varieties I’d also like to purchase.

I bought the first three from Raintree and the others from
Rolling River. Forget about Greensea. they don’t stock hardly
anything that they list, and Cindy can’t keep her orders straight.
She screwed up mine 3 times.

I’m still getting used to the fact that many members here have to mail order to obtain plants. :frowning:

Where else do you suggest we obtain them, especially if you
want anything besides Wonderful…

There are several independent nurseries in the greater San Diego area that stock 6 or more cultivars.
I’m still getting used to the fact that many members here have to mail order to obtain plants. :frowning:

It’s a matter of what’s profitable. Local nurseries tend to carry quick turnover and eye catcher selections for the area. When they go beyond that, it’s a big risk. So, they generally stick to stock they know they can move. I’d think that in order to move an inventory of niche plant varieties, they’d have to establish a wide regional reputation as the place to go for niche selections. In order to do that, they would need to maintain a varied enough selection within that niche that the class of customer would be drawn the extra distance to feel it worthwhile to shop there. For most nurseries, it’s probably safer to stick with the tried and true sellers.

For my location, I’m starting to find it more advantageous to plan trips to FL where I can explore what seems like a wonderland of nurseries. That way I can also purchase larger plants that don’t have to be cut to fit into boxes. The price is often substantially lower than the mail order price. Still, no one place has everything, and only so much can fit in a trunk and backseat at one time.

For most areas, I think carrying less common varieties is simply not profitable.

Richard,

With all due respect, I often find Californian backyard growers seem to be oblivious to what the rest of the country have to deal with in order to grow fruit trees they want in their backyards.

Muddy is right. Local nurseries only sell what sell well.

Nurseries around where I live only offer a few apple, peach, cherry, plum varieties that are popular (may not even be suitable for our areas). There are no quinces, pawpaws to speak of.

I have never found pomegranates or figs sold at any nursery, Lowe’s or Home Depot. Granted those trees/bushes do not survive our winter outdoors but I’d grow them in pots if I could find them locally.

What choice do we have but ordering on line.

Yes, that’s what I’m commenting about. I’m still in shock. :astonished:

Richard,

When I visit CA, I’ll do my best to find you and hope you’ll give me some cuttings of those exotic fruit varieties.

Redlands is not too big, isn’t it? :grin:

2 Likes

True, although nowadays I’m in Vista which is smaller still :slightly_smiling: