Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Oh well, hopefully many to follow. One of my peach kernels from my Indian Free hand pollination’s looks like an M&M, it’s round, convex, like a flying saucer. The others look like you would expect. Kinda looks like a cherry cross to me! Maybe Nadia? Hopefully I can keep it alive! I don’t have a good record at least with raspberries, I killed 6 of 7 raspberry plants. The good news is the 7th is an amazing plant! It grew 3.5 feet from seed! This is unheard of, I planted it outside, most first year raspberries, have to be brought in. this thing is huge though, plenty large enough to plant. This plant is looking excellent. Now to see how the berries are? It should fruit next summer. It’s a yellow mother with a red father, who knows what color the berries will be? Yellow, red, orange, pink, purple, or a combination, it could be anything? Polka and Anne are fantastic cultivars in themselves, although this growth is really impressive, and no matter if the berry is electric tangerine or brown in color, and the taste is excellent or bad, the growth rate alone might be a trait worth exploring in further crosses.
I believe this is a good cross too, not a self cross. I emasculated the flower before it opened. All the drupes were not pollinated (I’ll work on my brush stroke!). And the thorns (which are fairly soft) match Polka (the father) exactly. This is why I love gardening, so much fun, so many things you can do You learn so much. Heck the more plants you kill, the better gardener you become! Breeding is a hobby within a hobby!
My chances are…everything is shit, even if true, it’s been a lot of fun! I look forward to next years hybrids, see what I can do. I still want to cross some blackberries.Waiting for a cultivar to mature. it should have fruit next year. We have eastern blackberries and western blackberries, and raspberry-blackberry hybrids. Here I may have ploidy level problems? Anyway I would like to have the hardiness of eastern plants, the no thorn plants of the west, and the superior taste of the interspecific crosses. It’s going to take decades I bet. Then I better get going!

2 Likes

This is great news about your Indian Free Peach hybrid! When you have time, please post a picture. I want to see it.

For the meantime, here’s my Peacharine seedling. It’s a cross between LeGrand Nectatine, seed parent, x Sweet Bagel Peach, pollen parent.

2 Likes

My Flavor King seeds are sprouting right now. Not many of them.

I’m pretty sure I saw fruit buds on my nadia. In fact I see bumper crops on all my trees!

2 Likes

I’m impressed with the vigor of the tree. Seems to be doing well here.[quote=“Bradybb, post:1192, topic:197”]
The market ones were about 3 times the size of mine.
[/quote]

A lot of things can cause that. Poor pollination to insect or environmental damage to flowers, any stress can cause problems. Just being a young tree too.
I have grown a few cherry trees, and have never seen fruit on a 2nd year plant. I’m sure it can happen, just not the norm. Decent crops come 3rd or 4th year, and increase till 5th or 6th year. One of my trees took 4 years to produce. It had 1 cherry 3rd leaf. I know Nadia has produced 2nd leaf, a little, it is half plum, still the cherry traits have to be somewhere?
We need time to see what growth habits this hybrid has.
Once roots are very settled in and all, we will see what this tree does.

2 Likes

My Nadia will be second leaf and it grew very well last year. I too see a few fruit buds so hopefully that can avoid any spring freeze outs and get me a few fruit this year.

I feel like such a dork, but I am seriously eagerly waiting a full year for someone else to describe a piece of fruit on the Internet.

6 Likes

Get one. If you dont like its fruit, use tree as rootstock.

Mine is full of flower buds.

2 Likes

You have no idea what it would cost me in spousal tolerance if I bought another tree. The pictures of cherry looking fruit the size of small plums made it seem worth the risk. This is going to most of my trees third leaf in the ground, so once the wife starts getting more fresh fruit, I may be able to sneak another tree in.

2 Likes

I planted one last spring (2016) along with a Satsuma, Early Golden, and Ruby Queen.

Of those four the Nadia was by-far the most vigorous. Of course I can’t say for sure that is really Nadia or the St. Julian A rootstock it is on. (the others were Myrobalan)

I also noted that it had a very upright growth habit… every limb seemed to want to grow straight up rather than out.

Yes happened my first year with mine. This year I tied them down, at least the ones I could.

Mine grew upright as well. It’s taller than I would like as I did not summer prune it. I tend not to mess with a first leaf tree very much. I will give it a haircut this year to keep it in the 6-8’ range.

Since most of our Nadias will be fruiting this year, should we create a part two or should keep posting on this thread?

2 Likes

Yes, we should have Nadia part 2 so it easier to post or follow, especially next spring a lot of info and pictures about Nadia from all of us for posting.

3 Likes

Is there any more info about pollination partners for Nadia ?

1 Like

I don’t know how much concrete info there is but any Japanese plum with overlapping bloom times should work just fine. Pluot should work as well. Not sure about sweet cherries but they may work too. I have plenty around mine to pollinate. If mine doesn’t get pollinated it will be due to lack of insects or bees, not lack of partners

It’s probably up to us. This concerns me as my possible pollenizers are very young and may not produce many flowers next year. We need as much comment on this as possible.

1 Like

I left mine alone the first year as well and it grew like crazy, but I pruned the large majority of the growth away to try to achieve a more manageable shape.