Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

It looks like Raintree is no longer selling Nadia, or maybe is out of stock because is no longer listed on their website.

The thrill is gone! I noticed that the other day. Burpee has it for 50 bucks bare root.

1 Like

You people need to use the force! Or is that their search feature if I may say. It’s still in stock as far as I know, same thing as the Abbe Fetel pear. If you go looking for either of them you are not going to find it unless you search for it. If a item is actually out of stock then you won’t find it using the search feature. Burbank Plumcot is in their 2016 catalog as well but if you go and use the search for it, you won’t find it which means they are out of stock or no longer carry it. Go and use the search for these 3 trees and you will see what I am talking about. Hope this helps if you no longer see something under their headings and are looking for something. Strike Abbe Fetel off the list, they now have it again listed under their pear heading…they didn’t have it there a week ago.

1 Like

Regardless, it’s a bit odd that Raintree has taken it off there main page.

They probably need another year to let them grow. We cleaned them out, lol! I bet they planted a lot of them with their St Julien rootstock. Last year they didn’t have st Julien rootstock either.

1 Like

I wonder how well it sold… obviously a bunch of internet enthusiasts bought them, but I suspect we are a very small part of the overall buying public. (on the other hand, its description seems like one that would entice the general buying public…)

1 Like

They sell it and they sell St Julien rootstock too.
http://www.raintreenursery.com/Nadia-Cherry-Plum.html

Also for sale at Burpee, with a few pictures I don’t think I have seen before.

http://www.burpee.com/fruit/fruit-trees/cherry-sweet-nadia-prod022698.html

People are obviously growing these somewhere… it would be nice if we could get some real information on them. Of course given that several people here have them planted we should have some reliable reports in another year or two. (I know there were a couple of super early examples this year but I don’t really count those… 1-2 fruit off an immature tree, etc. )

2 Likes

I’ll probably let mine fruit, but i shouldn’t. Being container grown, leaving fruit always sets back growth a good amount. So i trade fruit for growth.

I’m not going to believe any of these cherry crosses lean toward cherry until I see photos of them hanging from the tree with long stems. All of the cherry crosses (pluerrys and cherry plums) look exactly like plums. I’ll get really excited if i seem the next cherry plum with a stem that is 2-3 times the length of the actual plum. haha.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s possible to get a big cherry tasting plum. We may be able to develop them bigger than cherries, but smaller than plums. The good news here, is this is a good tasting plum, and may well be worth growing for that alone.

What surprises me is that we haven’t seen more crosses that are heavier on cherry… 75% cherry 25% plum… or even 7/8ths cherry, 1/8th plum. It seems like at some point the cherry characteristics would take over but that at last some of the plum’s size might be retained.

3 Likes

It’d be interesting to know how many people intend to use their Nadia for breeding work. I sure do. I plan on crossing mine with Black Pearl Cherry.

1 Like

I will cross mine with a Rainier Cherry.

1 Like

Verry Cherry Plum is 75% Cherry and 25% plum, and yet, it looks more like plum than cherry.

Keep on crossing the Nadia off springs with a good sweet cherry and eventually, We will get a Nice big tasty cherry plum.
I may try to cross it with Sandra Rose.

Tony

2 Likes

These are the Cherries that I have:
Montmorrency.
Stella.
Black Tartarian.
Lapins.
Bing.
Kristin.
Rainier.

Which of these cherries would make a delicious Nadia backcross?

Bing and Rainier probably the best on your list.

Tony

2 Likes

The coloring of Rainier might be nice, if that were to come through.

1 Like

This is another of Zaiger’s Cherry x Plum hybrid, but this one looks more like a cherry.

1 Like