Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

I also want to create a Shiro Plum x Rainier Cherry hybrid.

That;s not good news, maybe we need another fruit like a nectarine or apricot? [quote=“SMC_zone6, post:1235, topic:197, full:true”]
It’d be interesting to know how many people intend to use their Nadia for breeding work. I sure do. I plan on crossing mine with Black Pearl Cherry.
[/quote]

White Gold for me! See how it goes…
I just had my Indian Free crosses sprout today, two of them, with two to go.
I also have a hybrid raspberry plant. I’m excited about that too. It is planted out, and dormant for the winter. I had a few but lost them. This one would not die, a good trait so far. it grew to 3-4 feet from seed this year. Big enough to plant out. That is unheard of, this may fund my retirement! (hey I can dream!).

4 Likes

That tart cherry has a 4x ploidy level, and the other Prunus we are using is 2x. A cross is very unlikely. So not that one!

1 Like

Lapins.

1 Like

It would be awesome if one of us creates an Apricot x Nadia cross.

1 Like

Is that a good cherry? I haven’t tasted them.

It’s an excellent cherry. Many people call it an improved Bing. It’s hard to grow Bing in the east so Lapins is a great alternative. It’s self fruitful and is firm which for me is an important cherry feature.

1 Like

Bing for reference is the parent of Rainier — Here’s a nice paper which covers the genealogy of Bing.

http://journal.ashspublications.org/content/139/2/148.full
Rosyara, UR et al. “Identification of the Paternal Parent of ‘Bing’ Sweet Cherry and Confirmation of Descendants Using Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Markers” JASHS March 2014 vol. 139 no. 2 148-156.

Apparently Bing is heterozygous for the yellow Rainier - type undercolor.

“‘Bing’ is heterozygous at the fruit color locus and passed the recessive allele for yellow fruit to ‘Rainier’.” This also means that Van (the other parent of Rainier) is heterozygous too.

Bottom line is you might get a yellow cherry even if you use Bing as one of your parents.

2 Likes

Self fruitfulness is a very desirable trait. Don’t know what the implications would be in a plum cross. I would try to incorporate Stella or Lapins in the breeding plans. Stella was developed from an irradiated “Emperor Francis” pollen that resulted in a mutated self incompatibility allele (S4’). Lapins is developed from a Stella x Van cross. Pacific groves markets a “Self Fertile Bing” — which is NOT lapins, but a cross of Lapins x Bing. I’d be interested to know how the Zaiger clan got the mutant S4’ allele in to their latest self fertile cherry release 6GM25 – It’s probably a cross of either Royal Lee or Minnie Royal with one of the above self fertile cherries.

Btw…forgot to say that Burnt Ridge Nursery also has them in stock and is selling Nadia trees for $25. a piece which is half of what Burpee is selling them for.

2 Likes

It probably has. Most of Zaiger’s cherries have Bing Cherry in their parentage.

I’m thinking of crossing Nadia, as the seed parent, with Flavor Top Nectarine. I hope that they are cross-compatible. It would be funny if the foliage resembles like that of a Nectarine and the fruit comes up looking like a plum.

2 Likes

I’m going to try Nadia as an interstem between a myrobalan root stock and a cherry.

2 Likes

Is that genetically possible? Wow!

Apricot.

Have one with apricot skin with a cherry flesh :slight_smile: early ripening. Have it be huge too…like a big Puget Gold.

2 Likes

Most likely it is. As most of 50/50 plum interspecifics end up looking like a plum. A member of Dave Wilson Nursery forums has a proprietary 50/50 plum x peach hybrid, and the fruit resembles exactly like a plum. The only thing that it distingushes from a plum is the peach foliage.

Thank you, that is fascinating!

1 Like

@JustAnne4 I do not think that Nadia is compatible with cherry. Last spring I grafted White gold cherry on Nadia. It grew for a while, but when the hot weather came it dried out. In comparison all cherries grafted on cherries took and grew well. The graft union was brown with just a small live area, connecting the tissues.

1 Like

I grafted Nadia to cherry last summer. The graft didn’t take. I grafted satsuma and flavor grenade to Nadia and they both took.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Maria. That’s good to know. In fact, I was going to try the exact same cherry variety. Some folks here predicted it would work.
Maybe not enough cherry in Nadia?