Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

I briefly had an image of an orange growing on a cherry tree… that would be fun.

I actually have a satsuma plum right next to my Nadia so I don’t know why that wasn’t the first thing to come to mind.

Forget Nadia, I think it’s time to start a fantasy fruit thread.

2 Likes

I’ve had some success rooting plum cuttings in the past. These are Nadia cuttings. They’re leafing out but haven’t shown roots yet. We’ll see what happens but I’m hoping it works because my original tree was hit pretty hard by voles this past fall.

2 Likes

Is that from a dormant hardwood cutting?

Yes

SMC, Good luck with those cuttings. I have seen Alcedo had good luck with green cuttings where he used a wire to girdle the tip of the branch then cut it off and used Clonex or rooting hormone to help rooting the green soft wood. He was very successfully at it. I will his technique this late Spring.

Tony

1 Like

It is so hard to keep the base warm enough to encourage roots and keep the top dormant.

I decided to transplant Nadia into a pot, and plant a fruitless mulberry where Nadia used to be.

3 Likes

Oh no, let it has some fruit this coming season, don’t move.

??? Huh?

1 Like

Are you feeling ok, and did you say fruitless? Nobody puts baby in the corner!

5 Likes

Mine is too big to move, It’s been in the ground, since day one. I just pruned it, left some stub cuts for later grafting. I want to add a pollenizer or two.

8 Likes

He probably just wants to be able to lock it up in the house when he’s not home or take it to work to guard the almost ripe fruit.

2 Likes

This is going to be your third leaf right? The tree looks great Drew.

LOL. I’m feeling ok.

If I plant a regular mulberry, the birds will make a mess. As of matter of fact, my neighbor had to chop down her apricot tree because the birds always a made a huge mess. She had to clean four times per day.

1 Like

They also will leave your other stuff alone, they love mulberries! I myself would take them before the birds, I’m asking for mulberry scion right now. Fruit is messy if you don’t pick it. I would have told the neighbor that if I can have the fruit, I’ll take care of the tree. But that’s me!

Thanks! Yes, 3rd leaf. I hope Satsuma can pollinate? All I have is that and some pluots, if not good, it will be two years before I have other pollinators. I have a weeping Santa Rosa, but right now it’s 1 foot tall. Two years probably before blooms.
It’s the third one, and it dies to just above the rootstock. So I have to make a new central leader. I have done this before, and so far it looks good and appears to have survived the winter. I piled it high with shredded leaves.

I bet any asian plum will pollinate it.

1 Like

Having looked at hundreds of them, it seems what satsuma or burgundy will not pollinate Santa Rosa will. So even if it does not, eventually Santa Rosa will be there. Satsuma is the next closest fruit tree. About 15-20 feet away.

I can send you some scions to help the pollination if you want to graft some. I gave most of it away already but I can cut some more off. I have beauty, Toka, and Mariposa.

I would think Satsuma would work fine with Nadia. Pluots might be an issue. All of my pluots are showing signs of bloom but my Nadia isn’t. I’m not sure they will overlap bloom.