Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Looks like not enough chill for Nadia in your location.

Quite possible, but right next to Candy Heart which bloomed weeks ago and is supposed to be 500+ hours. Could just be that Candy Heart is a lot lower chill then their initial estimates. The only thing I’m quite sure about Chill Hours is that no one knows much about Chill Hours, at least in more border-line climates. Time will tell.

My Nadia is going along with the other A. plums and pluots. They all have tight cluster flowers and no leaves. Pluots may be slightly ahead, but not much. It is probably lack of chill hours for your Nadia.

Amen to that! Been saying it for years. Some things just don’t add up.

Here’s my Nadia. It set very little fruit, no thinning needed. I have two Flavor King chip buds taking over two scaffolds.

4 Likes

Is it possible that Nadia is Low Chill? I got less that 380 chill hours and its flowering pretty heavily. Sweet treat pluerry is another one that flowers really heavily even with my meager chill hours, although i havent gotten a huge crop. This year will be a good indication because i got tons of bee activity and cross pollination. I dont expect any fruit from nadia this year as it is a young tree.

1 Like

Lucky you, we have no bees here too cold :snowflake:.

Yeah its been a good year. Weve had a two week stretch of daytime temps above 60F highest temp 90F and it happened to coincide with the bloom of nectarines, and plums/hybrids, but before citrus bloom.

Here’s my little Nadia I planted last January. In really heavy bloom. More precocious than Sweet Treat was at the same age. I might get fruit set this year. Goyo, I think it is certainly possibly as Nadia is coming to us from Australia.

6 Likes

I planted this Nadia one year ago. It appears to have at least a dozen fruit sets so far.

8 Likes

Nadia Update: Most of the fruit, from 80% of the bloom, are starting turn yellow and drop. However, the fruit from the latter bloom are the ones that are starting to develop and grow.

For most of the time, I used Geo Pride and Emerald Drop Pluots as pollinators. Then after the last flowers started to open, I placed Candy Heart Pluerry next to Nadia to increase the chances of pollination just in case that the pollination from Geo Pride and Emerald Gem pluots didn’t work. Thus, it now appears that Candy Heart Pluerry is the likely pollinator for Nadia. Those flowers that opened late are the ones that are starting develop into fruit and holding on the tree.

I also believe that Nadia is the pollinator for Candy Heart Pluerry because the last blossoms, just like Nadia, are also developing into fruit.

6 Likes

Pluerries or Japanese plum better pollinator?

Is Nadia patented?I was a little surprised to see Raintree Nursery offering the scions at one of their workshops. Brady

Yes, it’s patented. I believe they have a license to propagate Nadia.

Candy Heart Pluerry in mine.

1 Like

I would like to confirm that Candy Heart is a very likely pollinator for Nadia. Don’t rule out Burgundy! It is an all round good pollinator. None of the Nadia fruit sets have dropped off so far, there are some clusters too! I do not have Geo Pride or Emerald Drop Pluot growing in my yard.

1 Like

I don’t have Burgundy plum anymore.

Now Nadia and Candy heart are not bloom yet in Seattle, but I won’t be home from 1st to 10th of April. Too bad. Hopefully it warm enough for bees do their job for me.

1 Like

I don’t have Candy Heart or Burgundy so this will be interesting on what fruit set i get on mine when it blooms. I do have a lot of pluots.

1 Like

I have Candy Heart, but it isn’t in the same location as my Nadia, which is almost right next to one of my Burgundy plums, a Dapple Dandy pluot, and Sweet Treat. I;m seeing some early fruit set already, so clearly one of the three or more are pollinators for me. And, looks like my Candy Heart is also setting, so hopefully, I’ll get to compare Candy Heart and Nadia this year.

4 Likes