Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

7 Likes

Nadia blossom so beautiful. 4.1st.17.

9 Likes

Do you have your tree in pot or in the ground? Your Nadia has so many flowers! My large tree has only a few here and there.

2 Likes

Beautiful and plentiful, Vincent.

What will you use to cross pollinate it?

1 Like

Mine too. Not a lot of flowers. Still unopened, at least 2-3 weeks away.

1 Like

My outdoor Nadia was covered in bloom. It set nothing. Same at my buddies place. In the greenhouse it set a fair crop. But my take so far is that this one won’t need much thinning. Just hope it sets. We didn’t have any freezes but I don’t know the pollinator situation outdoors. It could be lack of bees. A Burbank plum nearby set a few fruit and they bloomed together.

2 Likes

My in ground Nadia almost 1 year old. Maybe last winter cold enough for all flowering. I have Mariposa and Methley Japanese plum blossom the same time with Nadia now but no bees around because of weather temperature under 60F. All the pictures I took right before my trip until the 10th of this month therefore no hand pollination much yet. Will do when I am back home.

I have Satsuma FK, FQ, DD, and FS to pollinate. The pluots are not close though. The Satsuma (loaded with blossoms) is within 15 feet. I will hand pollinate. In a year I’ll have a Santa Rosa with some blooms, about 15 feet away. I also have scion wood of a bunch of plums. I will be adding one or two right to Nadia.

3 Likes

Is anyone going to plant the seeds?

I might.

1 Like

Funny, I was just thinking that. First I need some fruit! Yeah a FKxNadia cross, might do better here than just FK. The last two years have tested all trees with the crazy weather. Hoping the Pluots perform better, i have only had a few of each except Flavor Supreme, i had one in 4 years, I’m giving it one more year. It is the only pluot that has some bud damage as it is ahead of the others, not a good fit here, too bad, but it is what it is.
I will mark and bag a few, to see at least what pollinates it!

1 Like

If I plant the seeds, they will probably be Nadia x Candy Heart Pluerry.

The ones that I pollinated with apricot pollen didn’t developed into fruit.

1 Like

Some reason my Candy heart will bloom not the same time with Nadia. Chances for cross pollinate are much harder.

1 Like

That sounds good! If you don’t plant them, I’ll take them! Or a few anyway.

1 Like

2 Likes

Looks like i won’t have a ton of blooms, but there should still be plenty…especially for how small the tree is. I’ll probably thin to 10 or less…

Does Nadia ripen after Flavor king?

My guess is that Nadia ripens before Flavor King Pluot.

What pollinators do you think that pollinate your Nadia?

I’m 90% sure that Candy Heart is the pollinator for Nadia.

2 Likes

Nadia ripens way earlier than flavor king.

Where I’m at one pollinator appears to be laroda plum. Nadia seems to have a long bloom time, but my be partial to certain pollen.

1 Like

Thanks for that info I have scion to that, going right on it, if I can get it to take!

2 Likes