Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

the cold didn’t get mine this year

5 Likes

Nice, hope you have a pollinator near by.

I think it likes the cold, looks good and healthy! I hope you get to try it.

Bart, I agree. An amazingly long thread for an “average small plum”.

1 Like

Fruitnut sets his bar very high, One of my favorite fruits he called a spitter. We are good friends, but our tastes are nothing alike. That spitter was Arctic Glo nectarine. I have had three people say it was the best nectarine they ever ate. One guy even asks if he could have more. I’m sure growing conditions has something to do with it too, or maybe cultural differences from people growing up eating high acid fruits, versus those eating low acid. Here in the Midwest high acid fruits with low brix is the norm. And as Billy Krystal Says “And we liked it!”
Nadia supposedly has more antioxidants that cherries, so if anything, it is close to being a super fruit.

2 Likes

I appreciate that very much, high standards make for high character, but if you have to grow Nadia in a greenhouse and still only get an average small plum…

1 Like

His comment makes me think it might be the best ever for me. As that was certainly the case with arctic glo.

2 Likes

Drew,
Agree that taste is subjective.

But I take into account experience. I only have three varieties of peaches in my yard so Autumn Star is the best peach “I’ve ever had”.

@fruitnut has tasted hundreads of stone fruit, his experience counts for something. To me, as long as we like what we frow, it is that what matters.

I also agree that the Nadia thread last year was super-hyped for fruit that no one had ever tasted ( then) and not much info to go by. The hype on this forum alone made the marketers of Nadia very happy, I assume.

2 Likes

It may not be that good? I grew up eating peaches, it is a major crop in Michigan, Arctic Glo is one of the best. Although it is a nectarine. My parents had peach trees, I tasted enough to know a good one. On the greenhouse comment, so greenhouse tomatoes are the very best? I’ll decide on taste when I taste my own and I’ll report what I think. I hope mine sets fruit! I will have many more possible pollenizers next year.
Peaches are the reason i started growing fruit again, as I could not find good ones all the time, it was hit and miss. Unless I drove out to the orchards I could not consistently find good peaches. I only have two peach trees. PF Lucky 13, which is just OK, I’m not happy with it to tell the truth. I added a few others to it this year, and I’m going to ask for more scion next year. Indian Free is good, but late in the year, small, and a short shelf life. Still a keeper, but I would like a more traditional peach too.

My Nadia has a lot of Fireblind. And her flowers last more than 20 days even no more pollen left.

Amazing that I read 1451 posts about a fruit tree I don’t have. I use the Tracking Mute function frequently but not for Nadia. The enthusiasm was addictive. It will be interesting to read the posts 2 years from now but we might be up to 5000 by then. I’m going cold turkey. Mute.

2 Likes

I got to try a Nadia last year. Would of got to try more but I summer pruned a lot of bloom out of the tree. The fruit had a plum/ cherry flavor that I liked, was just different, much better than an average plum which is not exactly good. My tree was about 7 foot tall and planted in ground. Always give fruit a couple of years to judge, as the tree grows the quality of the fruit improves! Looks like I’ve got a full crop this year, will have a good taste this year!

12 Likes

Looks like you have the best looking tree so far. You also have a nice orchard. Your doing a great job with it. Just curious what did you get rid of and what are you grafting on the trunk next to your Nadia?

1 Like

Good eye!!

This is what is called cherry blossom blight (moniliniosis). I was fighting with it on sour cherries, Sweet cherry had one strike and one was on the A. Plum. Apricots can also get shoot strikes. Regular spraying with wettable sulfur seems to help to stop spreading infection. Remove all wilted parts. Sorry for your Nadia. It has so many flowers it still has a chance to set a fruit.

2 Likes

What trees pollinate your Nadia?

Tony

My Nadia also had long blooming period. It started with A. Plums and bloomed through sweet cherries and then even through sour cherries. Most if not all early blooms fell, they were pollinated with the mix of A. Plum and pluot pollen. The latest blooms were pollinated mainly with sweet treat pluerry which also had prolonged blooms. This late cluster of flowers set fruits, which are still very tiny. Hopefully they survive to maturity.

1 Like

Thank you Maria. We had very cold and wet winter this year , it might happen because of that, it happen with my Nadia and some of different fruit trees as well, I removed all the bad infected parts but no chemical spraying yet. Hopefully still has some fruits, will find out in a couple more weeks. Still on the testing Vincent.

Thanks John, very nice of you! That tree was supposed to be 49er peach but ended up being very large bland peach that my family would not eat. I bark grafted early treat peach to it. Around here that will ripen in first or second week of may, after my really early cherries, Royal Hazel and Royal Lynn.

1 Like

Tony, It’s really hard to say what is for sure pollinating Nadia, ive got a lot of pluots and plums nearby. I can say that of all those pluots and plums, Loroda plum blooms are most in sync with Nadia’s. It is also planted right next to 4 in 1 plum with laroda on it, so that’s my best guess. I have also noticed Nadia has a long bloom time and seems to set in clusters.

2 Likes