Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Mine is long stem Raintree 2015, OK well maybe short stem now that I look closely. A squirrel took most of my fruit already. Just bit them, and dropped them, not ripe!
I’m having bad luck with this tree.

Remember Raintree offered them first, so for me all need to be compared to Raintree, as they had the first Nadia’s released to the public. So the original offering was of short stem types. Which to me suggests this is the real deal.

My first thought was mine were long stem, we may be looking at the same fruit. When young stems appear long, once fruit fills out it looks shorter. As i was sure mine were long, and now looking at them, they look shorter.

2 Likes

Drew,
Comparing to its patent is what is accurate, isn’t it?

Also, there is this article on Nadia being released in Europe:

“UNIVEG Katopé UK Ltd. has signed an exclusive marketing license with AIGN (Associated International Group of Nurseries) covering the European Union and Turkey, giving UNIVEG marketing rights for the cherry/plum hybrid known as “Nadia” (eu PBR application number 2008/0697). The Associated International Group of Nurseries member in North America is Brandt’s Fruit Trees, Inc. in Yakima, WA.”

Maybe, @Bradybb and @Vincent_8B who live in Washington Way have the closest access to the source.

2 Likes

I described mine as short, and less than one inch is short to me. Sounds like the short one is in line with the description. Unless I have the long one? I would say 2cm is about right for my fruit on stem length.

1 Like

Pics of Nadia fruit from Theweatherman vs Vincent show you what a short and a long stem mean in this context.

3 Likes

I’m starting to think they got the tags mixed up in Washington. Is it just Vincent, and Brady with the longer stems and different leaves? What a bummer that would be.

2 Likes

My 1st Nadia tags

2 Likes

My 2nd Nadia tags.

3 Likes

My 1st Nadia leaves.

3 Likes

1st Nadia tree and bark.

1 Like

More fruits pictures.

1 Like

It says four years before they come into fruit and they are heavy baring. I think they marketed this fruit to be like a cherry to sucker us into buying it. Hey if it grows lots of fruit I might still like it.

3 Likes

http://www.greenyardfresh.co.uk/marketing/univeg-katope-uk-aign-agree-a-deal-for-new-cherry-plum/attachment/nadia-with-long-stem-and-cherry-size-rings

http://www.greenyardfresh.co.uk/marketing/univeg-katope-uk-aign-agree-a-deal-for-new-cherry-plum/attachment/nadia-long-stems-in-punnet2

Look at the descriptions of these photos:

“Nadia with long stem and cherry size rings”

and

“Nadia long stems in punnet2”

Those descriptions imply that there are Nadia fruit without long stems, right? Otherwise why write it that way?

1 Like

My 2nd Nadia leaves.

My 2nd Nadia fruits.

2 Likes

The picture of the fruit in fig 3 of the patent looks like mine, the short stem version, not @Vincent_8B, which is a pointed fruit. However the patent says a pointed 60g fruit. Mine is more like 20g.

A 2cm stem is about 3/4 inch, @Vincent_8B seems longer than that, @itheweatherman and mine seems shorter.

What a mess. I don’t think it’s clear which is the right one.

3 Likes

Here’s mine from Raintree 2016.

2 Likes

Yes that’s the Raintree version. That stem is 1cm maybe less. Those on @Vincent_8B look more like 4cm but maybe the fruit is just small.

I’d rather the long stem version be the right one. That would be more cherry like. And I think this short stem one is just a small plum and will taste that way.

1 Like

I think you should have been a detective!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I think both long and short stem are still Nadia but the nursery propagated from Nadia seeds not from mother tree since beginning. Their kids are a little different from parents and maybe one tastes like plum (mommy)and the other like cherry (daddy).

You’re kidding, right? They aren’t selling seedlings. If they did none of those are Nadia.

1 Like