Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Finally we will have research and report more about Nadia on latter years to compare . Nadia still hot topic with fruit growers .

Exactly. The two fruits that I harvested a bit early (both had bird damage) tasted like a tart plum!

1 Like

Fruitnut,
If the Raintree ones are not the real Nadia, could those who bought from Raintree be able to ask for replacement or at least an explanation why they sold incorrect tree?

I think the info described in the patent shoud be what all Nadia owners compare their fruit and other tree’s characteristics to.

Are your Nadia fruit have pointed end?

1 Like

A other point different is both short and long stem Nadia leaves Petiole completely different in color. One a little red or pink the other are so green no red at all . Don’t you think?

I don’t see how we’re going to be sure what’s going on before harvest this summer. So we might want to start differentiating these as Nadia SS and Nadia LS or whatever seems easiest.

Nadia, the story that keeps on giving.

4 Likes

Maybe we could send plant samples to a University so they could perform DNA testing.

4 Likes

Only if they have a real Nadia DNA sample to compare it to.

The mystery continues, indeed.

4 Likes

Our best bet for an early resolution is if we could email pictures to the breeders or whoever controls the fruit in Australia. Maybe Raintree could help in that regard. If someone is propagating an imitator the people in Australia would rather know sooner than later. Mix ups have happened on a large scale before. G41 rootstock was set back yrs by a mix up in the propagation beds.

3 Likes

As a photographer I would have to disagree. I can’t tell the degree of compression in the photo. A number would be better, I see some have given some, that helps. I will have to measure mine.

1 Like

Mine haven’t fruit yet. But here is the Nadia photo from Burpee. Looks like a very short stem also. Could it be that Vincent has a Sport of Nadia?

Tony

4 Likes

The mystery about this cherry plum is intriguing and I don’t have one. When I go to this website I can’t resist reading the latest posting about it. Hope it meets all of your expectations.

3 Likes

I sent an email to Raintree. I’ll see what they say.

I might need help getting the pictures sent if I can come up with the breeders contact info.

2 Likes

If you can’t see the difference of the stem length of theweatherman’s Nadia vs Vincent’s Nadia pics, I don’t know what to say. The difference is quite obvious even though we can’t tell the exact measurement.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s possible, unlikely but possible. What is strange is I believe only one nursery was cloning them.[quote=“mamuang, post:1637, topic:197”]
If you can’t see the difference of the stem length of theweatherman’s Nadia vs Vincent’s Nadia pics,
[/quote]

I can see the difference, it just doesn’t tell me anything. Looking at the pictures I thought I had the long one, and I do not, once I heard the numbers, I realized I had the short one. .My fruit is not as mature, the stem looks bigger because my fruit is still small. I still think Vincent’s photo looks like mine, but I guess it is not?
I can’t get a good photo it’s at night.

3 Likes

Tony,
The patent describes Nadia’s shape as having a pointed end and a 2 cm long stem. Burpee’s pic of Nadia does not fit the description.

1 Like

What a mess. I think Australia folks had the real one.

Tony

2 Likes

This picture so weird, why fruits in the front look so shinny and different color than fruits in the back. Fruits in the back side have more powdery skin .

1 Like

I just contacted DWN via Facebook and asked them if they are growing this variety and hopefully, they reply to my message soon.

2 Likes

The photographer staged it that way by buffing the powder off of front bunch. They should be nearly black when fully ripe.
If they are not fully ripe they have a lingering sour/bitter after taste. A fairly ripe cherry does not have this at all.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, post pictures of your Nadias so we could compare them.

2 Likes