Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Here’s a closer look of Nadia’s leaves.

3 Likes

I went out this afternoon and took some pics of my nadia fruit which is not that far along as others here are. I bought my tree from Raintree back in the spring of 2015 like some others here and mine are definitely with a short stem. I put a tape measure next to mine so you can see how short the stems are and also with the fruit still being very small. These are the lowest hanging 3 fruit and there maybe 2 or 3 more high up but that’s about it on my tree this year.

4 Likes

These Nadia with short stems you are showing look more like red mirabelles!

1 Like

What is the difference between ‘Nadia’ and Mirabelles, which are cherry plums? Look up ‘Ruby’ mirabelle. Sold in CA…

1 Like

Mrs. G
I don’t know anything about Mirabelles, are they self pollinating? I assume they are not but now looking at my “Grow Fruit” book by Alan Buckingham there is a Gypsy Mirabelle from Ukraine that is partly self-fertile that is bright red with a strong cherry-plum flavor that does look like mine without the red yet. From what I see in Raintree’s catalog they sell Mirabelles but none of them are fully red, the closest they have are yellow with red dots.

1 Like

They are self pollinating, but like a little help grown with other euros, I’m sure. Look up Ruby! I think it is grown in Pomona.

1 Like

Wow- a lot’s happened since I last checked this thread (just over a month, a couple hundred posts ago).

I ordered my Flavor Supreme in 2013, so it is 5th leaf. But the first 2 years were spent in a pot, so I’m not sure if they count. Normally, being in a pot spurs trees up and gets them bearing sooner. Both this year and last I’ve had a lot of bloom damage from spring cold. I didn’t think it was complete, but it was for both FS and Nadia (which are right next to each other). I’m not sure if it was the cold, immaturity, or a combination.

I’ve started to do that. And the longer FS takes to set fruit, the more pollinators will be grafted on, until there isn’t much FS left. :smile:

Though it is a pretty big tree- if it ever sets, there will be a lot of fruit. I actually put a couple grafts onto Nadia as well. I had to cut out some black knot, so I figured that I might as well graft to what was left of the branch.

I won’t know for at least another year, given the lack of set. The leaves from all the posts look about the same to me (and match mine). I got mine from Raintree in spring 2015, so it was the same time/source as you.

2 Likes

I tried the following link from google and it is currently doa.
https://www.pomonafruits.co.uk

1 Like

I just caught this but that is my thought exactly. Talk to the breeder. Surely they would want the real deal out there. This is crazy! What’s even more crazy is that I am reading all this and I don’t even have a Nadia tree and I’m not sure I really even want one. I just love a ggod mystery I guess!

3 Likes

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/mirabelle-trees/ruby

1 Like

1/4"

1 Like

Isn’t the word cherry used in context to size, not linage? They are just plums.Like a cherry tomato refers to size, not genetics.

I have also heard of cherry plum crosses with sand cherries, but Nadia and the Pluerries are the first crosses with sweet cherry.
It doesn’t have the right color, they should be easy to tell apart. Looks like a very cool plum though! I’ll take one please!

1 Like

The measurement of my Nadia today.

I don’t think my Nadia fruits fully growth yet.

1 Like

My Nadia leaves.

3 Likes

That’s a 3/4 inch stem, 2cm. Just what the patent claims.

3 Likes

OK, it fits the patent description, but that really means little. One hires a botanest to describe your plant, from what I learned looking into it for my own hybrids. He could have been looking at treated fruit, who knows?
@Vincent_8B OK we all want scion now! :slight_smile: I wanted to talk you about that anyway. You have a lot of trees I would not mind getting cuttings from. About time you tried grafting yourself!

4 Likes

Hi Drew,

I have the short stem variety. The stems measure from 1/4" long to a tiny stub, mostly stubs. It came from Raintree last season 2016. The next one I try, I will let turn nearly black and then see what happens. I go away for the day and all of these responses! This is the thread that keeps on going, and going, like the energizer bunny.

3 Likes

Vincent,
Everything about your Nadia seems to fit the patent’s description. Please keep us posted when the fruit are ripe.

The patent says fruit is about 4.2-4.5 cm long ( a little shoter than 2") and the color when ripe is dark red to purple. Can’t wait. :grin:

3 Likes

This is looking more and more like a Raintree screw up. I am watching closely, my tree should fruit next season, my order was delivered/planted June 2015.

1 Like

Here’s my second Nadia from Raintree Nursery. This is a replacement from the second tree that died in 2016. It was replaced in 2016.

1 Like