Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

I actually think the whole Nadia thing is fun, and even if it doesn’t prove to be a spectacular tree is proving to be a spectacular science project. This is something of a crowd sourced research project… not that different from when a new fruit is released to a select number of growers for trials. (only we all paid for the privilege…)

I also didn’t buy Nadia just for the alleged cherry flavor. The research paper I posted a link to earlier describes a pretty strong fruit overall, including some good disease resistance.

4 Likes

It reminds of what happened on the Tomatoville site. Many members there teamed up to do the Dwarf Tomato Project. Each member growing out seed and reporting back. Now over 60 releases later, they are still working on new ones. I didn’t participate as I have limited room. But it would have been fun. I love the dwarf plants so far. I grow almost all my tomatoes in containers.

1 Like

I have lowered my expectations of Nadia. I hope that it tastes about as good as a humble Burgundy plum. One will not be picked until it turns black or falls off of the tree this time.

6 Likes

Mine has increased, it appears to have more cherry than any other fruit except cherries.If anything excellent breeding stock.

1 Like

To me, the thing that matters most is flavor. The only thing cherry like about it is that it ripens earlier than most plum/pluots, a little after Bing cherries, otherwise everything about it looks like a plum. It tastes like a plum, that is why I am going to wait until it turns black to taste the next one. The cherry DNA part of it must be recessive, not outwardly obvious. I am not a scientist. If it does not taste very cherry like then what is the point?

1 Like

Exactly, if it’s just another tiny plum with normal plum flavor it will get the axe on the western front.

5 Likes

Maybe then this thread can finally be all quiet on the western front. Brady

6 Likes

I’m not sure if it matters now,but these pictures were taken today. Brady

7 Likes

Super clear and beautiful pictures Brady. Very easy to recognize they are long stems Nadia fruits.

2 Likes

Even long or short stems Nadia, I am happy because we have more choices for fruit growers. Next step we like to know long stems Nadia fruit quality report.

2 Likes

Your Nadia looks more round sharp than mine more pointed fruits to me Brady.

2 Likes

I agree there, if the flavor is normal. I was thinking along the lines of like say strawberry-banana flavor, it tastes like neither really, it’s a very unique flavor. My wife loves strawberries and bananas but will not ever eat anything with this flavor. Also if the tree can produce, as many plums cannot, Lot’s of other reasons to keep it and even use it in crossing. A productive plum tree in the Midwest is not a common thing. Cherries are productive here, plums are not, having no cherry flavor but bringing productivity is enough for me, it’s a winner then.
The East Malling Research Station picked up Nadia not for marketing but for breeding, They saw a potential to extent the territory of plum crops.

3 Likes

Yes it does matter in my view. Both you and @Vincent_8B have the long stem version that to me is different than the short stem version. We still can’t explain that difference. Since two of you have it the chances of it being a case of mixed up trees on our end is greatly diminished. It seems to me that Raintree Nadia is different than DWN or Biringer Nadia.

The shape might change as the fruit matures. You have two trees from different nurseries. Are they both shaped the same?

1 Like

Brady what rootstock is that on?
@Vincent_8B Do you know your rootstock?

1 Like

You posted your tags,
I see one says St Julian, the other citation, but maybe both are citation? That might be the difference?

1 Like

I find it unlikely that rootstock would change stem length. But if we can’t figure it out we can swap scions. Have both versions on one tree. I know patents and all. But if we don’t propagate new trees who’s to care.

I do too, same with it being a sport. Very unlikely. Since they have so little material to propagate I can’t believe they all came from one branch on one tree, or from a tree grown out from that branch, they have not had much time so seems unlikely.
Out of unlikely scenarios the rootstock is the most likely. Even a major mix up with these very experienced nurseries is unlikely too.

2 Likes

It’s raining hard today, I will post pictures of my second Nadia fruits later for comparison. That tree have only 3 fruits.

2 Likes

Here my second Nadia fruits pictures.

1 Like

My second Nadia from Sky nursery where I also bought the Candy Heart and Sweat Treat Pluerry.

Picture of my second Nadia tree.

1 Like