Name this plum ( The answer: It's a Lemon Plum from Chile)

Well I’m out voted. I though they were great. The ones I have change a lot as they ripen. The picture that @Borer_the_explorer showed are plums that are not yet ripe.

1 Like

I agree, once they were turning red they were very good.

OK I’ll state it this way – they were good for an imported plum from costco.

1 Like

I understand that. I rarely eat a store bought plum.

I’m curious how long the Lemon Plums can be stored. This one is two month old from pick date. They were picked before they where ripe and are tart with little sweetness in that state. This 2 month old one was now sweet and juicy. I have some more so I’ll continue to see how long I can store them.

I just came across your Lemon plums in the grocery.

Not bad. Sweet juicy bubble gum flavor inside. A little sourness in the thin skin.

Considering I haven’t eaten a fresh plum in half a year, I was very glad to have them. My kid loves them.

They do look a lot like Inca and Superior plums, but are likely their own distinct cultivar. They have the EXACT same label as the ones eaten last year by @Borer_the_explorer!

Your plum looks like it might be one of the Mariana variants often used as root stock for other plums. The one I have is also a light barer, of similar size, has the blood red flesh but has more of the waxy bloom on the skin. I don’t think it’s identical to yours, but my hunch is that they are genetic sisters. God bless.

1 Like

Thank you so much Marcus.
I moved it back in container and relocation to new place in next winter.

These are coming back to the stores these days. I read this thread but I still can’t figure it out. Are these only grown in Chile?

I guess they would grow them in Israel where they were developed. I never had an actually good one. But there appeance reminds me it’s time to start my spraying.

2 Likes

I got the same plums from a local Korean grocery store. They taste really good once turned orange. Smell good too. I really like them. Is this variety (I mean tree) available for sale by any nurseries in US?image

2 Likes

I couldn’t find them or the patent of the variety, let’s grow the seeds :slight_smile:

Looks like one of the plums bred by Israeli Ben Dor Nurseries. I wish I could get a tree of variety like Plumegranate

1 Like

I had the same thoughts - growing it from seeds if it is not available from nurseries here. That is why I went back the store to buy some more, because I forgot to save any seeds. Not sure if these seeds are viable. But if someone has this variety, it would save so much time and get rid of all uncertainties.

1 Like

Thank you for the info!
Yep. That is the one. It seems under this Lemon Plum category there are multiple cultivars, ripening in different months. Still hope someone has this tree in US.

1 Like

No problem, I am familiar with the nursery and plums (not growing) cause they released
Shark teeth Plums -  Ben Dor Fruits & Nurseries in Europe. The look of Shark Teeth plums is great but taste is not that impressive, even Ben Dor admitted that saying it needs more crossbreeding. The Plumogrenate should be much much better. Glad you like the Lemon ones…

I have two small Plumegranate seedlings.There is no telling what the fruit will be like.The leaves are odd,almost fuzzy,similar to European Plums.bb

2 Likes

Did you grow from the seeds of the fruits bought at the store? Could you please share any photos of seedlings ? Thanks!

Yes,they were from fruits bought at the store.After checking through my photos,none could be found.When leaves start growing,I’ll post some.bb

2 Likes

That’s great, looking forward to see it fruiting :slight_smile:

1 Like