Need Raspberry Advice

How far apart is each plant?

Anne

Brandywine

Caroline

PAF - this sprouts at the base of the stem have looked like that for about a month with no change

Triple crown - no signs of life

3 Likes

Those rasps look awesome. I’m getting five from Indiana Berry, so I expect them to be just as nice. Really thick canes already. Since they’re fall bearers, you think you’ll get any fruit this year? Hope mine will be big enough to take cuttings off of. I guess they’re easy to propagate like this? Isn’t the BW the plant you got at Tractor Supply? My four rasps from there aren’t showing anything yet, but I guess it’ll take a while.

Btw, the Autumn Bliss pic isn’t showing up.

Yeah, that TC black looks kinda bad. The other may just be taking its time.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

1 Like

Not sure what happened to the autumn bliss pic. I don’t even see it on my phone now. It looks a lot like Anne. And yes that Brandywine came from Tractor Supply with Heritage which I didn’t get a picture of.

I said the canes had grown a lot, but those are prob what went into the ground, I suppose you didnt prune those any? But still, very nice green growth. I bet the root difference on the IB plants compared with the TS plants is very noticeable?

The dark cane is what went into the ground. Anne, autumn bliss, and Brandywine sent up new shoots. Double gold and heritage are mostly growing from the original shoots right now. Even though I heavily amended the soil it’s still not very good so it will be interesting to see what these look like at the end of summer.

I think they look very happy in their new home, you prob did a good job prepping your plot. I just dug a 3ft round hole and plopped ours into the ground, and put some straw mulch around them.

The new five rasps coming in will get a better prepped plot. I would also like to set up a double level wire trellis for it. I think a 4x4 post buried a foot deep on each end with a couple short 2x4 as the cross pieces would do nicely. And then run some wire clothes lines between the cross posts.

I saw this kind of setup at the nursery today where they’ve got their blackberries growing. Except they have a big post on each end anchoring it down.

1 Like

I would not count any out, the cane on triple crown might die, but the plant crown may be alive. I can send you a TC if it dies, if you want? I threw a bunch out this spring. I don’t have any new plants, but can tip root one of the canes for you and send in the fall, but I bet your plant is still alive. Sometimes they do die.

2 Likes

I was looking at my rasps that were planted in March and notice that heritage had a large ripe berry on it. Only problem is that it’s yellow. Lol. I’m wondering if the plant was mislabeled and it actually Anne or Double Gold. It only has a single berry but it sure looks ripe. Maybe ill taste it tomorrow. I assumed heritage went from unripe green to ripe red. Should not be a yellow stage should there?

2 Likes

Definitely not! BTW, not sure if you have other Heritage, but in my experience they taste pretty bland when they first turn red, as they get a deeper, darker red the flavor really improves.

2 Likes

Heritage is an old raspberry. I grew it in Maine about thirty years ago. It had very large berries that were tart. I could rely on it coming back year after year!

2 Likes

Probably not double gold. DG is more of a pink/champagne color.

2 Likes

I’ll snap a pic before I devour it tonight :slight_smile: I bet it’s Anne. All of my berries are new this year so I really don’t know what they are supposed to look like other than what was pictured on the package or what I’ve seen online.

1 Like

Isn’t that Heritage plant one you got from Tractor Supply? Wouldn’t be surprised it doesn’t match the box. Could it be a Fall Gold? I don’t think they were selling Anne, but they did have FG, as I bought one from TS. How has your Brandywine from there been doing? And the others from Indiana Berry?

My three rasps I got from Tractor Supply hasn’t sprouted yet, after a month in the ground, so they’re going to be pulled up. The Anne I got from Lowe’s has pushed up some growth, so that’s encouraging. My Indiana Berry rasps are in better shape.

1 Like

Really like my Polka and Caroline. Had a row of Anne but SWD hit them hard and they arent as good for processing. Caroline has larger berries and stalks get taller but polka is more productive. Sounds like I should consider Prelude? I replaced my Anne row with 3 honeyberries for now.

2 Likes

Indeed. That heritage plant did come from Tractor Supply. So maybe it is fall gold. That would make more sense. All of the rasps are doing fine including those bought from Indiana Berry. They all look fairly similar and are growing upright with the exception of Brandywine which appears to be a trailing type. Its sprawled out and I need to finally get the trellis wires stretched across before it starts tip rooting. Triple crown blackberry is 100% toast. I actually dug it up and there was virtually nothing left of the root system. I transplanted the Anne root cuttings I took in March in that location. The jury is still out with prime ark freedom. It doesn’t look dead like TC did, but its not doing anything either. So ill leave it until it looks dead.

3 Likes

It’s productive but berries are tart even ripe, not that tart but on the tart side. Himbo top
Is very early, extremely productive, medium sized berries, and low acid. So depending on taste. I like Prelude, my wife likes Himbo Top. Both will be ripe in a couple days. A couple were already ripe in my location 6a/5b.

3 Likes

This is a picture of the berry labeled Heritage. As you can tell I think its probably fall gold. It just just okay. Tasted kind of watered down. We’ve gotten a lot of rain the last two days so maybe that explain s it.

2 Likes

Well, I know it’s late for planting brambles, but I finally got my five rasps from Indiana Berry in the ground this evening.

I had bought and planted three rasps from Tractor Supply in early May, and they never sprouted. I carefully dug down around the canes and there was no new canes coming up. They had very poor roots, so this is not surprising. So, I pulled all of those up, and put the new rasps in their place.

The IB plants had very good roots, long and numerous. They actually had a few white sprouts on the roots, that I assume are new canes forming. I had to dig shallow trenches as opposed to deep holes for these roots, which I suppose is how they’re supposed to be planted to facilitate suckering. The canes were pruned down to about an inch.

I planted them about 4ft apart. I hope to build a trellis for them when they all start to grow new canes. I took the idea from @speedster1, and placed them in the row alphabetically.

Here is the lineup:

AAC Eden == Anne == Caroline == Double Gold == Killarney == Prelude

So, hopefully next year we’ll have a bunch of raspberries to sample!

1 Like

As I recall Fall Gold one of the first yellow raspberries here in the States. I grew it as well, long ago and thought it was good. I find that my pome and stone fruits taste different after I have had them for over five years. Same for my berries. Mine get better with food, water and age. I now have Red, Jewel, Kiwi Gold, Caroline (fav.), and Yukee. Caroline is the best raspberry to me.

1 Like