Need Raspberry Advice

Dont quote me on this but I think SWD shows up after the summer bearers and more commonly effects fall bearers.

3 Likes

There can be 6-8 generations or more a summer. by fall the populations are just massive so more damage.

1 Like

I’ve had summer and fall bearing raspberries for 20yrs and never heard or seen their damage here. my father either. guess its too cold for them here. are they a invasive or native to the u.s?

1 Like

Cascade Gold and Honey Queen are June Bearing. Cascade Gold Is excellent, huge berries, but some years it has problems. Inconsistent for me, but the berries are so good, I put up with the low production years. Super firm almost a solid yellow, not translucent. A red tinge develops when ripe,they are good before they are fully ripe. My favorite yellow.

1 Like

Anyone have a recommendation for the beat type of wire to use for a raspberry trellis? Galvenized? Aluminum? Copper? Green coated clothesline wire? 550 Paracord? Lol

I have some leftover 14 gauge aluminum electric fence wire and I thought about inserting two ends into a drill and creating a wound wire. But I’m a little worried that it could end up abrasive in windy conditions. Thoughts?

2 Likes

I use copper.

3 Likes

more important is tying the cane on the opposite side away from prevailing winds. usually w/nw here. have my trellis n to s oriented . always tie on the east side of the wire. that 14 ga. alum. wire will work just fine. i use turnbuckles to tighten mine.

5 Likes

Mine is oriented generally north south. What is the importance of tying off on the opposite side of the prevailing winds? I would think that the trellis wire would help keep the berries from getting psuhed over by wind.

2 Likes

I like paracord and tent tensioners

5 Likes

I used wire for grapes, just because I may grow grapes there one day, or Kiwi, and the wire is strong enough to hold anything. Raspberry patches can become infected after 10 years, and may decline, you are supposed to wait years to replace. If it happens to me, I’ll move the patch and put something else there. Mine are over 5 years old now, and no signs of decline. My set up is all metal, so it will last longer than me.

2 Likes

so the wind doesn’t push the cane against the wire and rub against it. i tie each cane to the wire with soft twine to hold it there loosely.

3 Likes

When I do that the cane slides anyway. Mostly I use the trellis to keep them from falling over once they have fruit. I rarely tie them.

1 Like

i used to do that but the swaying of the canes rubbed the bark off and killed or weakened the canes. i have a lot of wind at my place so now i double wrap the wire then loop around the cane. most places you probably get away without doing this but for windy areas like mine i have to tie them.

1 Like

I have seen some damage, but yeah the wind comes, but goes, so the canes heal if wounded.

1 Like

I put in two 5’ cedar pyramids on either end,with copper tops in my 25’ long berry bed. As the canes grow, I place copper wire around both pyramids forming a very large but taut loop. The canes are inside of the copper loops and hold the canes upright. As soon as the berries set, I will then net!

2 Likes

I was out foraging in the wild bramble patch, looking for some ripe berries recently, and I noticed that there seemed to be some thorny briars that looked like bramble canes. That is, three serrated leaves, with thorns, and they were tall, but fruitless. The odd thing about them, is that they look like they’ve been painted white. Could these be primocanes of these wild black raspberries? I know that primocanes are usually green, as I’ve seen them in the wild blackberry rows, with the green color.

The black rasps are mostly still red, but some are black and taste pretty good. A bit sweet to go along with the tartness. The blackberries are just now starting to turn red, but we have found a few ripe ones. They don’t taste as good as the rasps, but I am kinda partial to rasps.

2 Likes

I’ve seen rasp. canes that were white like that but were florocanes. interesting.

1 Like

I ought to tag them this year and see if they produce next year. They literally look like they’ve been painted white. My wife was weed-eating down there the other day and whacked some down, but there are others still standing. She doesn’t think they’re rasps, but I think they could be, because of the leaves and thorns. I don’t think they’re blackberry canes. But, we’ll see next year, I guess.

1 Like

good idea! you got me curious. we can’t grow black raspberries up here usually because its too cold for them but they came out with ohios treasure 2 years ago that are the 1st zone3 black raspberry that i know of. planted 6 this spring. they’re just starting to put out new growth. they were very light green when i got them and have stayed that way since i planted them. they look almost sickly like not enough n. i hit them with some fish emulsion and compost tea and they won’t darken and the growth is very slow. growing in a shallow raised bed 5in. with peat/ compost/ and composted manure for the top 5in. then native soil below that. any ideas why they aren’t growing and look the way they do? have them mulched with composted hardwood chips to keep the moisture up. am i missing something here? they should grow like reds right? maybe they’re just getting established but their color has me stumped.

1 Like

If you’re asking me about your Ohio Treasure, I just read it’s a black raspberry ever bearer, not a summer rasp. So it could produce this fall on its primocanes, and then next year those canes (floricanes) should produce in late summer, followed by more fruit on that year’s canes (primocanes).

It sounds like you’ve given them a good home. I don’t know if I’d give them any fert unless they’ve got established. I think some folks on here are adverse to giving rasps (or blackberries) any fertilizer the first year. Based on the bed you made for them, it sounds like it’s quite fertile. Maybe they’re just slow growers, and you just have to give them some time.

Just my two cents…Since I’m so new at growing these berries, I’m sure there’s others on here with more experience who could give you a better answer than me.

2 Likes