Neem oil for dormant spray?

I have a small sprayer and I shake it regularly when using neem and or surround.

1 Like

yes, i tried, but not very hard shaking - it is two gallon sprayer and I have hands joints issue, they just do not hold well unless I can take it in my fist, all I could do just tilt it from side to side fast. Do you think I have to repeat the application?

What brand of soap did you use? I would recommend Dawn, it has more “soap power” per ounce than other kinds of soap.

I should probably try neem again sometime, but after the last clog five or so years ago I quit putting it in my tank.

I used household dish soap Ultra Joy. Will try Dawn next time. They said too much soap can damage the leaves, but when it is dormant spray, do I have to worry about too much soap? Can I just add more soap, or it will still separate eventually unless constantly shaken? I wondering how professionals with truck mounted sprayers do oil applications? Unless the tank has motorized propeller in it, I don’t think it is possible to shake it.

I recently did a neem-liquid copper-bicarb spray in my GH. No problems with the mixture however I was using a neem extract oil, not the “raw” stuff.

Large agricultural spray tanks have pumps that constantly circulate the contents of the tank, keeping it well mixed

1 Like

I sprayed neem on 1/2 of a pomegranate tree, a week later that 1/2 of the tree turned yellow an lost its leaves.( mid summer)
Nothing else I sprayed with that tank load showed any problems.
Has anyone else had problems with poms.?

I never sprayed neem oil in mid-summer, only in spring again aphids, and didn’t have a pomegranate tree loose its leaves but pomegranate leaves do seem more sensitive to neem oil than other plants.

1 Like

As many have stated the art and science of oil emulsification is ‘fluid.’ An emulsion is similar to a colloid in that it is a mixture of substances that never truly mix. Keeping the right balance of chemistry, as well as conditions, such as agitation and temperature, is vital. I’ve never used my Neem oil in a sprayer but I think I’ll start with a small sample, properly proportioned, and put it in a jar and see what happens: cool it, warm it, swirl it, let it sit, etc. Maybe try more/less soap and/or try different emulsifiers, if I can come up with some others. M. Phillips says it’s good stuff.

2 Likes

There were still some Spider mites on the trees in my greenhouse,so I mixed a Tablespoon or two of 70% Neem with about half that of Castile soap per gallon of water. It turned milky when shook up and sprayed very well. Brady

1 Like

What did the mites think of it?

1 Like

Mites probably aren’t around to tell Brady😀

3 Likes

I’ll check with the mites.If they like it,then some more will be given to them.Brady

2 Likes

In my experience, using warm water is very useful for emulsifying neem oil.

3 Likes