Neighbor sprayed me AGAIN! (My very strange pears 2.0)

The state was there last year, and looks like they will be again.

2 Likes

@thecityman:

I am so incredibly saddened to hear that this has happened to you again. There really no words I can offer to improve the situation, but I do hope you are able to reengage the TN Department of Ag. and use this information to both be suitably compensated for your loss and hopefully dissuade this from happening ever again.

I am glad to hear that you are not going to let this define your summer, but I can only imagine how disappointing this is. I am sorry.

Russ

1 Like

sorry to hear this is happens again。you should do something to stop this happening year after year

sorry to hear about your losses. It is quite infuriating!

btw, you could probably even use your posts here from the previous incident(and up to this new incident) as exhibits A and B. Your yearly posts have this valuable ‘time element’ to it which the court could refer to-- as valuable evidence of the pervasive and repetitive nature that resulted in damages/losses.
Online forums can serve as third-party and 100% freedom-of-information type of document storage and retrieval system, and posters cannot manipulate the dates and times they logged their entries.

*only caveat is that old entries may again be revised or modified after 60 days, but this shouldn’t cause any credibility issues. Also, there are plenty of us here who are witnesses!

Hey Kevin first off let me offer my condolences as I know how bad this must hurt. Second don’t feel like anyone here feels like you are whining at all. Talking about it is a great way to get advice on this from people who may have gone through this before or know of others who have. Also you are spreading the word about an unfortunate incident that apparently happens in orchards sometime. Now if this happens to someone else hear, and I’ll bet it will, at least they will know what they are dealing with. I agree that some course of legal action is needed at this point. Sorry my friend.

Drew

1 Like

I’m so sorry.

Once is an accident. Twice is either on purpose or the man is a complete imbecile.

I mean, what, he had the go through a lengthy investigation process, he ponied up over 4 figures to compensate you, and the VERY NEXT YEAR the same thing happens?

Sorry, I’m waving the bullshit flag. I don’t know what’s going on there, and I don’t know enough to hazard a guess, but quite frankly it doesn’t make sense that it is just a complete accident by an otherwise responsible farmer.

Either way, I don’t trust him spraying pesticides ever again. I hope you are able to notify the proper authorities and they take this seriously, as it would be his second recorded offense.

10 Likes

VSOP, If I could hit 20 likes, you’d get them!

2 Likes

I cant add anything other than I would agree that first time I may have been a little cooperative in getting a resolution to the damage. 2nd time I am going after every cent I can get!

My moron neighbor or the sprayer he hired has sprayed twice this year on days that were not safe to do so and are actually label violations. 40mph winds and 90 temps. The smell of 24-D was unbelievably strong the first time he did it. Somehow I dodged any significant damage. Somehow row crop farmers and sprayers in big row crop country believe they are the only ones that are important. At some point enough lawsuits will change that way of thinking. When their acre of corn at times is a break even proposition compared to a acre of specialty crops valued at several thousand dollars damn right I am going to be mad when you ruin my crop!

It is making the news more and more here as the small vineyards keep experiencing herbicide drift from their uncaring neighbors. We also have “Crop and Bee Watch” now active in our state. Not all states are part of the program and you have to meet certain criteria to be listed on their site. However once you are listed it is another card in your deck when going after people who have damaged your property. As the site is available for everyone applying chemicals to check for sensitive crops prior to spraying.

5 Likes

Absolutely unbelievable. Feel so bad for you. Not once but twice! My goodness!!

I’m not positive that’s all herbicide damage. Roundup for sure will not leave black dots, other chemicals can. Where are you located? Part of your damage looks like frost damage to me. Hire an agronomist to give a professional opinion, including tissue samples which you will need in order to prove herbicide damage in court.

He’s in Tennessee, not frost damage.

It’s not round up that is damaging his plants, it’s 2-4D if I remember correctly. That stuff is brutal on trees.

1 Like

Don’t tell him in advance this time, you gave him time to cook the books last time.

Call your state pesticide program like last time and get them to open their file and take soil samples. Then when the file is complete you go from there.

5 Likes

And confirmed by the state, this time I would think they would pull some commercial spray licenses. I know I would, besides the fines, and civil suits.

That’s horrible! I agree with those who said to pursue legal action.
I was caretaker for a small vineyard one year that got over sprayed with 2,4-D. It was a total crop loss and all we could do to keep the vines alive. The owner did it himself though (just killing the honeysuckle)…

That is maddening and defeating. Sorry to have that happen to you two years in a row. :angry:

I’d include in your demands that the neighbor pay for a buffer strip of something on the edge of your or their property to catch droplets. But I guess that stuff would just be killed dead every year…

Better yet, have him build a 50ft high fence on his property line. That oughtta take care of any drift!

2-4-d was last time. He said this time it was something like Roundup. That damage isn’t an indication of Roundup or 2-4-d, but could still be some other herbicide. Neither of those will cause burnt looking edges or spots like the pictures show. 2-4-d will cause twisting and odd growth in the early stages as it is technically causing the plant to grow faster than its supposed to. Roundup won’t leave those dots either. It takes more time to show and causes a slow death. The only way to know is hire an agronomist to pull tissue samples. If he is going to sue, tissue samples, then subpoena the spray records to prove it matches.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I must’ve missed that.

I think running for mayor is your only option.

6 Likes