New Device for killing rodents

@Steve333 et al.
My problem is that it is difficult to find the tunnels because it seems the network is deeper. BUT I can easily see the exits/entrances around the beds - plums, almonds, figs and even now the garden beds.
IMG_1665-1
IMG_1668-1
So I’d love your thoughts on simply directing the grains into those holes.

1 Like

@JustAnne4 We are dealing with different rodents here, but I suspect the method I use for pocket gophers would work for your critters as well. I use one of these “bait applicator”. Here it is at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Yard-Butler-37-in-Gopher-Bait-Applicator-13870118/304866706

What I do when I see an gopher entrance is to push the applicator into the ground several places around the entrance. It is very obvious pushing the pipe of the applicator in, when you’ve hit a tunnel (air) vs when it is going thru solid dirt. If the spot I am testing hits a tunnel, I turn the crank a couple of times. If not I move on to test another spot. With gophers I also test spots where I “think” they may have a tunnel, and can actually get a good percentage of hits that way.

I suppose one could do much the same with a rod or stick that has handles at the top to push on. And then when you locate a tunnel, use a funnel to pour some bait in. But this applicator makes it much easier and more convenient.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t the exhaust toxins be absorbed by the soil?

I wrote a blog post some years ago on a local Rat trap solution that costs next to nothing and is very effective. (Looks on blog. Wow! It’s 11 years ago already. Time flies.) Essentially it’s a bucket buried in the earth with bait (usually a chunk of Carrot) strung across the middle on some wire. Half (or one third) fill the bucket with water. Rats will try for the Carrot, fall into the water and drown. I’ve had a trap catch up to eight Rats in a single night this way.

The big trick is to use a bucket that’s wide enough otherwise larger Rats can stretch all the way across the top of the bucket, rendering the trap ineffective. I use a big 50L bucket.

I’ve been told that this method is illegal in the UK because “cruelty to Rats”. Not sure how well it might work for other rodents… would be interested to hear.

1 Like