New Member from Maine

Welcome Swizzle and Itinkham,

Glad we have more members from Maine. Maine’s climate is so diverse.

I am not a zone pusher but quite a few people here are.

Love to see how Ininkham handle Dragon fruit in zone 4. I like the fruit.

Great to have you here, I had houses in Maine at one time not that long ago. Winters were too long for me. Are you growing your trees (plants) in a greenhouse? Welcome aboard!

I agree, winters are too long here. Although I will be here until I retire in thirteen years, I intend to find a warmer winter locale to spend my winters and return here in the summer. I think somewhere in southern Florida will be perfect to travel to in the winter. I can only imagine what I would try to grow there.

Hi, I am new here and from Marblehead Ma and I too would like to grow things people say I can’t. Zone 6b. I could really use some encouragement. Another member on here just let me know that most of what I JUST planted will only grow in California. Can I send you my fruit tree names and maybe you will say otherwise? I would love to know your spray and prune timing. Not too many New Englanders here.
Colleen

I’m an ex-New Englander, currently residing in Michigan

Welcome.

What are you growing? Here in Mi I have a number of unusual plants that one would be surprised would survive in Mi

Scott

Scott,

Thank you for responding. I really appreciate any suggestions from people who know the climate.

All the below Trees are on dwarf stock like Citation and Gisel3

Most are from Dave Wilson nursery or Raintree

Black gold cherry
Rainier ( I hear this is a bad choice)

Prune D’ente plum
Bubblegum Plum
Late Santa Rosa plum ( also been told only grows in California)

I have 2 espaliers as well: Monrovia
Multi grafted Apple
Multi grafted Pear

These Dave Wilson multi bud ones are easier to show in pictures than describing: very ambitious choices

All are facing south west against walls or wooden fences very protected.

I have sprayed Apple and pear with dormant oil spray and anti fungal but have not sprayed newer Dave Wilson multi buds yet. I have a tiny yard and plan to keep trees as small as I can.

I would be happy just seeing all these flower.

Thank you for your advice!

Colleen

Colleen,
You will get more responses if you post this in the General Fruit Growing category. The About this Forum category is for mainly the introduction.

On the top of your page, you will see the three short lines symbol. Click on it.
A list of categories will show up.
Click on the General Fruit Growing and re-post this post on that, you will have far more responses.

Also, we have several people from MA who are regular members here, closer to 10 people.

1 Like

Welcome Coleen,

I don’t see anything that shouldn’t grow in your zone. I find people tell me a lot of things won’t grow in Maine that I am growing. I always tell them to tell that to my trees. I usually do not spray my trees, although this year I will spray with copper to deter brown rot. I only use leaf mulch for fertilizer. Since I started doing that my trees are a lot happier. I use a leaf blower that is also a shredder and bagger. It works really well. It also cuts down on weeds, so less maintenance. Good luck growing.

4 Likes

Those trees are offlay close. I have mine 8 feet a part which is still to close.
On the right is the same flavor king, queen, supreme, DD combo tree

1 Like

Thank you for the positivity!

Thank you for responding. I really appreciate your encouragement.

welcome from the crown of Maine in the st .john valley. nice to see another fellow Mainiac on here. there are quite a few of us now but i think I’m the only one in the north. in by z3b unfortunately i can’t grow what you guys can and zone pushing here rarely works out for long so now i plant z3 hardy only. it depressing losing a tree you’ve been babing for years just to up and die in a cold winter. wish i could grow peaches. it one of my favorite fruit. JesseS its the expert zone pusher on here hands down.